We all have something to count. Humans, animals, objects, amounts, actions...
* A number of days or hours: work, sleep, sunlight, rain, watering, watching TV, web browsing.
* A number of visitors: in a museum, a theater, a nightclub, a shop, any event.
* A number of people: present or absent, passengers of a bus or a boat, number of voters or pupils during a school trip.
* A number of animals: in a herd, a flock, a drove, an aviary, fish caught, game shot.
* A number of human actions: cigarettes, glasses of alcohol, lovemaking, food intake, calories, pharmaceuticals, cash transactions, verbal repetitions, spelling mistakes.
* An amount: weekly pocket money, fuel costs, food and non-food expenditure, gambling losses.
* A number of objects: clothing on sale, library books, cars on parking, vehicle crossings at a crossroads.
Your imagination and your needs will do the rest.