The Extra!!! Edition of the American Civil War Gazette contains back issues as well as additional articles that did not appear in the daily edition.
Highlights of the May 1861 Edition:
- Arkansas, North Carolina and Tennessee secede
- Attack upon Sewell's Point
- Union troops take Alexandria, Virginia
- Union forces take Camp Jackson, Missouri
- Blockade and privateering efforts increase
- England is concerned over effects on commerce
- The Great Eastern, built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, visits New York. Calls are made for the U.S. to purchase it to use in the war as a troop transport.
- Col. Elmer Ellsworth is killed
- Riots in St. Louis
- Baltimore is occupied by Union troops
- Virginia voters approve secession
- Richmond is named Capital of the C.S.A.
- Beginning of attack upon Aquia Creek