With the ABC Radio App you can listen to 22 live radio streams and over 150 on-demand programs. We're also increasing the ways you can personalise your listening experience:
• LISTEN to your favourite LIVE ABC Radio Stations
• Missed your favourite live program? LISTEN ON-DEMAND
• Use + MY PROGRAMS to sync the latest episodes of your favourite programs
• EXPLORE podcasts by station and genre
• Use + LISTEN LATER to save episodes for offline listening – great for saving data and for when phone reception is poor
• MY RADIO gives you quick access to My Program and Listen Later episodes
• Use the sleep function when you go to bed
The App also offers track and program information; weekly schedules; and sharing on Facebook, Twitter or via email.
ON-DEMAND PROGRAMS (PODCASTS) INCLUDED
• All current and previous episodes, as found on iTunes, are available, that is podcasts from over 150 ABC Radio programs.
• ABC Local Radio, including: 891 ABC Adelaide, 612 ABC Brisbane,666 ABC Canberra, 105.7 ABC Darwin, 91.7 ABC Gold Coast, 936 ABC Hobart, 774 ABC Melbourne, 1233 ABC Newcastle, 720 ABC Perth, 702 ABC Sydney
• RN (ABC Radio National)
• ABC Classic FM
• ABC Classic 2
• ABC NewsRadio
• triple j, triple j Unearthed, Double J
• ABC Jazz
• ABC Country
• ABC Grandstand, ABC Extra
• Special event stations – e.g. Emergency broadcasts, festivals, speeches and addresses, celebrations and commemorations, big unfolding stories and small conferences discussing big ideas.
These are all the ABC Radio stations that currently have live radio streams for the web or mobile.
• v1.0 streams ShoutCast mp3 at 96kbps, which uses about 43 MB/hour.
• All other versions stream ShoutCast AAC+ at 64kbps, which uses about 29 MB/hour. Note that ShoutCast AAC+ at 64kbps has comparable audio quality to ShoutCast mp3 at 96kbps.
* Note that you are responsible for the data transfer and consumption charges incurred by you when using any ABC app. The ABC disclaims all liability for such charges.
WHAT the PERMISSIONS MEAN
• precise location (GPS and network-based)
• approximate location (network-based)
Because at various times some content needs to be restricted to Australia only, the app may check your location to ensure that you're in Australia.
Photos / Media / Files
• modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
• read the contents of your USB storage
The app needs this permission to download program/podcast episode files to your device or SD card. The app doesn’t read the contents of the media except to play the media files it downloads, i.e. the process of playing a media file the app has downloaded results in reading the file.
The app also caps the amount of space it uses. This is so that the auto-download feature does not clog-up your device. The way the app does this is that once the cap is reached it deletes episodes it has previously downloaded. The app needs this permission to check that the file exists and to then delete it.
Device ID & call information
• read phone status and identity
This is used to stop or pause audio from playing when you receive a call and to then restart the audio once the call has ended.
We value your feedback; please send us compliments, suggestions and criticisms. Please contact us using the Email Developer link.
We have used the latest Android SDK and have tested the app on a wide range of Android devices, but if you have any issues we would really like to hear from you with details of your phone, Android version and problem.
- Minor bug fixes