WordNet® is a large lexical database of English with up to 140,000 entries and more than 1.4 million words, developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.
Instead of following the standard dictionary format, the WordNet dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to the straightforward definition the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.
The resulting network of meaningfully related words and concepts:
* helps you to better understand the word meanings,
* facilitates the quick finding of the correct meaning,
* allows you to quickly memorize words.
--- A Comprehensive Dictionary and Thesaurus ---
* Straightforward and precise definitions of over 140,000 words with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words.
* Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help you make your writing and speech more interesting.
* Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names)
* Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
* A quick search of words while you type.
* A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
* A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
* A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
* Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
* History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
* Discover more using the included special language notes.
* See words in context with example sentences.
* 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.
* Bugs Fixed