An Apple TV remote app that uses your device's infrared (IR) blaster. This app will work without needing to jailbreak your Apple TV. This app supports all Android 4.4 (KitKat) devices with an infrared (IR) blaster and any Android Samsung devices that have an infrared (IR) blaster.
- Control your Apple TV via infrared (IR) without having to jailbreak your Apple TV
- Keyboard support that lets you type on your device and it sends the infrared codes either after every letter or all at once
- Holding directional and menu buttons down will keep sending those codes across
How to use the keyboard:
- First open the on-screen keyboard on the Apple TV
- Then click the A button on the app to show the keyboard on your Android device
- Keep the device aimed at the Apple TV and start typing
- If you want to send codes all at once (for example when entering an email address), hit the toggle button labeled Letter to change it to Word(s) after which you'll need to click Send to send the codes at once (make sure your device is pointed at the Apple TV throughout the entire send)
The following are Samsung Android devices that have an infrared (IR) blaster:
Samsung Galaxy S4 (also Mini/Active/Zoom)
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (and Plus)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
The following will ONLY work with Android 4.4 (KitKat) as of version 1.7:
Currently unsupported (even with Android 4.4 KitKat):
LG G2 (unfortunately LG did not implement the Infrared API per Google's KitKat specification; I'm currently looking into using LG's SDK)
SETUP PLEASE READ:
If you have a Samsung Android device with infrared (IR) and the app doesn't work (Apple TV LED will blink three times to each button you click on the app), then please do the following:
On the Apple TV, go to Settings > General > Remotes > Unpair Apple Remote
This unpairs the little Apple TV remote and allows this app as well as any other universal remote to work.
If you are having trouble, please contact me and provide a screenshot, what device you're using, and what version of Android it's on and I'll work to fix it.
Currently works on:
- Samsung Android devices with infrared (IR) blasters
- Other Android devices with infrared (IR) blasters that are on Android 4.4 (KitKat) as of version 1.7
If you like this app, please rate it and tell your friends. Thanks and enjoy!
An ad-free version is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reinieday.appletvinfraredremote
- Fixed double move issue with HTC One
- Improved scrolling speed
- Improved typing speed
- Fixed click issue with arrows
- Added support for long press of the select and play/pause buttons
- Bug fix regarding dialogs
- All Android devices with an infrared (IR) blaster now supported with Android 4.4 (KitKat). Special thanks to Charles Wong for doing an awesome job beta testing for me when I didn't have an Android 4,4 device.