The Audio Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary provides definitions for about 170,000 words, phrases and examples and is compiled to offer what learners need most in a dictionary.
The Third Edition offers new, up-to-date vocabulary (e.g. sex up, speed-dating, whiteboard), new 'mini-collocation' boxes, and new frequency information to highlight the most important words to learn. The new Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary gives you everything you need to learn English and pass exams!
Over 170,000 words, phrases and examples
• Over 79,800 high-quality English audio recordings with UK and US English pronunciations compiled and recorded by Cambridge University Press
• You will find newly added Illustrations and photos to illustrate the word definitions.
• Common grammar and style and usage labels included
• Examples included in the word definitions show you how to use words in the most natural and fluent way.
• All the important new words that have come into the language (e.g. dirty bomb, lairy, 9/11, clickable)
• Only words from a defining vocabulary used to help make definitions easy to understand
• Over 90,000 examples, mainly full sentences, show you how English is used in context and help you write natural English.
• 25,000 collocations show the way words work together in English
• Automatic recognition of inflected forms
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.
Version 4.3.102 features:
* Offline audio pronunciations