Australian Birding Checklist demo version
If you find it useful, please consider upgrading to the full version.
This is one of a series of Birding Checklist applications for Android mobile phones and tablets. There are applications for Australia, New Zealand, United States (excluding Mexico and South America), Western Palearctic (UK and Europe), Pacific Islands, South Africa, and Ecuador/Peru/Bolivia.
PHOTOS & SOUNDS are downloaded separately, and must be manually installed via your PC. Please check the Readme file at this download website so you know how to do this. The photos and sounds are NOT included in the download package from the Android market.
Download website for Australian version:
Australia – 892 species and 431 subspecies
These applications include basic bird identification information, and are NOT intended to replace a field guide. It is expected that users will have good familiarity with the birds they are seeing, and will use this application for:
a. Logging bird sightings (with GPS co-ordinates if your phone has a GPS)
b. Uploading your sightings to eBird (or similar PC or online recording system)
c. Maintaining your Lifelist
Full versions have the following features:
- complete listing of all bird species and subspecies (where known)
- searching and filtering of the bird list
- statistics and record of your personal bird Lifelist
- current tick list (birds you have seen today or during a short field trip)
- quick lists for customised bird listings for locations your frequently visit
- display of bird photos and bird calls on the SD card linked to the application (these must be manually downloaded separately)
- logging facilities including GPS location (if your phone has a GPS)
- export log file in eBird Import format for rapid loading of your sightings to eBird
- optional downloadable Rangemaps and extended text descriptions (incomplete but growing collection on external download site)
- help information
- play mp4 videos of birds stored in the photos folder on the SD card
- support for large screen 1280 x 800 tablets
Demo versions have reduced functionality:
- cannot save sighting logs or statistics (lifelist saving is now supported)
- will not display rangemaps or extended descriptions
- do not display ticklists for regions
- no GPS location display on Google maps
- no alternate language support
- no quicklists (custom filtering of bird lists for your location)
- no mp4 video support
You can easily add your own resources files – the application places no restriction on this but very large numbers of photos (many thousands) may slow down the application.
Please contact me if you have any comments or suggestions, or corrections to the bird information.
Major upgrade to user interface with Action Bar, in alignment with the full version. Note that small screens and no longer supported, and minimum supported Android version is 2.3 (you should be on 4.0 or later, ideally).