Beer Defects is an application containing detailed information about aroma and flavor defects found in beer. Beer defects – also known as faults – are noticeable and objectionable departures from an acceptable norm.
The application is a complete reference to 12 common defects which may occur, and includes:
• Molecule responsible (chemical name)
• Chemical formula
• Main origins
• Typical concentration in beer
• Approximate flavor threshold
• Possible causes
• Possible treatments
• Possible prevention
Sensory descriptors (what it smells or tastes like) include:
∗ Banana, estery
∗ Nail polish, solvent, glue
∗ Bruised apple, sherry, nutty
∗ Phenolic, smoky, clove-like
∗ Antiseptic, hospital, plastic, vinyl
∗ Cheesy, sweat socks, old hops, putrid
∗ Rancid butter, butterscotch
∗ Rotten egg, sulfidic
∗ Skunky, lightstruck
∗ Canned corn, molasses, vegetal
∗ Cardboard, paper, oxidized
∗ Vinegar, sour
∗ Aroma and flavor defects can be searched by sensory descriptors or by chemical name (molecule responsible for the defect)
∗ General information about sensory thresholds
∗ Good sanitation techniques
WHO COULD USE IT?
Quick and accurate identification of off-aromas and flavors is advantageous for:
• Professional brewers
• Brewery laboratory and cellar staff
• Home brewers
• Instructors for beer programs
• Students in beer programs
• Beer judges
• Beer merchants and staff
• Beer writers
• Savvy beer consumers
WHY USE IT?
• For brewers, early remedial action can often correct the problem, before the fault becomes more serious or irreversible.
• For beer merchants, avoiding losses associated with defective beers improves the profit margin.
• Beer consumers should also know more about beer off-aromas and flavors so that rejection is based on genuine defects, not unfamiliarity.
A hard copy version of this app - called “The Defects Wheel for Beer” - is a perfect complement. Please see our website www.appliedsensory.com for this and other products including “The Defects Wheel for Wine” and “The Defects Wheel for Olive Oil” or to leave feedback/comments about this app.
A comparable app – Wine Defects - is available for wine at the Android Market.
This application has been tested and successfully run on Droid X, Droid Incredible and Aria Android telephones