This is a DEMO app. Its purpose is to demonstrate my Android skills to employers/recruiters.
The blog reader app displays the posts of this blog http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/. Team TreeHouse is a famous site for developers to learn web and mobile development skills.
- the app checks for network connectivity before connecting to the internet; this is a best practice for preserving battery power
- it connects to the internet asynchronously; this is a best practice in order to keep the app responsive while this operation is done
- a progress widget is displayed while fetching data, so the users are informed that processing of data is happening
- a dialog is displayed in order to notify the user if something goes wrong
- clicking on a blog post takes you to a second screen where the full content of the post is displayed inside the app
- on Android devices running Honeycomb or later, a sharing icon appears on the action bar that lets the user choose an app on the device to share the URL of the blog post
- on Android devices running older version of the operating system, a different sharing icon appears in the menu bar
- the above two are accomplished by using Android resource qualifiers; another best practice for providing consistent functionality to newer and older devices