CellMapper is an application that displays advanced GSM/CDMA/UMTS/LTE low level data and can also record this data to allow you to create a coverage map. This in turns helps others find out how good coverage is in the areas mapped.
CellMapper works on both tablets (with or without a cellular radio) and cell phones. The map is available in Android 2.2 or later due to Maps API only supporting this version of Android or later.
- Displays map of mapped (or calculated) towers, and currently connected tower
- Read GSM/UMTS/LTE band and ARFCN/EARFCN/UARFCN on Samsung devices (root required for 4.2+ devices)
- Dual SIM support for Mediatek, Qualcomm, and Samsung Duos devices
- Displays advanced CellID info (LTE: RSRP, RSRQ, SNR, CQI, Timing Advance for LTE-TDD. CDMA: ECIO, EVDO ECIO, SNR. UMTS: PSC)
- Advanced processing of data if is uploaded to the site (per sector coverage of cell tower, signal trails, advanced cell tower location triangulation) (optional)
- Local calculation of cell tower points (enable feature in Change Provider dialog)
- Support for both Google Maps and OpenStreetMaps
Note: The data on the site and within the app is generated shortly after it is uploaded Locally calculated (less accurate) data is available instantly from within the app.
Currently supported networks:
- CDMA (limited, many phones do not implement the API correctly)
To start contributing, simply go into the Settings screen and enable "Live Upload." Once this is enabled, simple press the home button and CellMapper will run in the background and send data as you move. You can always close CellMapper by using the menu and selecting exit on the main screen.
Alternatively, you can use "Upload and Statistics" screen to upload data at any time later on through wifi.
View your results at CellMapper.net
Why does CellMapper need so many permissions?
android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION - To get CellID information
android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION - To get GPS location
android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE - To get Cellular network informaion
android.permission.INTERNET - To connect to server to download map data / upload data
android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - To write external CSV file if no internet connection
android.permission.READ_LOGS - To read Samsung Field Test Mode data on Android 4.1 and earlier (despite what the dialog says, I can't read your browsing history unless your browser write it to the system log)
android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE - To read info about airplane mode / network settings
android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED - To start at boot time (if enabled)
android.permission.VIBRATE - To vibrate on CellID change (if enabled)
android.permission.WAKE_LOCK - For phones that do not support 4.2+ CellID Support, to ensure they report correct data
android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - To write external CSV file if no internet connection
This app only requires root access if you enable this feature under settings for Samsung field test mode data reading on Android 4.2+
- Fixed Nexus 7 (2013) wrong Mobile Country Code detected