The Collins Cobuild Intermediate Dictionary is the perfect language tool for English language learners.
You will find all the words you need, defined clearly in full sentences. Including a range of 17,000 headwords, 63,000 references and 25,000 examples, the information in this dictionary has been carefully chosen in order to allow the dictionary user to be a confident language user. It will enable you to write better English as well as understand English better.
The Collins COBUILD Intermediate Dictionary is based on a huge database of text, both written and spoken, called The Bank of English. The Bank of English® contains over 650 million words, and it is the basis of all the statements that COBUILD makes about the language. The entries contain a detailed account of the main uses and meanings of each word. Each of the forms is listed at the start of each entry, along with information about alternative spellings, if any exist. Explanations are written in full sentences, and show typical grammatical behaviour. The explanations also give a clear description of meaning. And of course, the thousands of examples are taken directly from The Bank of English®, showing typical patterns of use and grammatical structure.
A search tool
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
* A quick search of words while you type
* A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A 'keyword' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
* A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
* A 'Favourites' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
* Your last visited words are all saved in your 'History', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
* Discover a new word every day with the 'Daily' feature
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
* See words in context with example sentences
* Online and offline modes supported, the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
Version 4.3.103 features: