The new 2014 Collins English Dictionary app is fast, easy-to-use, has all the latest words and is the most comprehensive and trustworthy English dictionary available. It contains more than 722,000 words, meanings and phrases reflecting the rapid evolution and growth of modern English.
This is a fully functional trial!
For more than a century, Collins’ editors have worked to create dictionaries that meet the needs of the world they define. They’re still doing so today, tracking language change around the world and vetting suggestions from the public on collinsdictionary.com, ensuring Collins English Dictionary truly is the home of living language. With all of the latest words to enter the English language as well as over 8,500 place names and 5,500 biographies you have thousands of fascinating facts and figures at your fingertips. Usage notes give advice on using the right word in the right place, and thousands of etymologies trace the roots of modern English.
• More than 722,000 words, meanings and phrases
• Reintroduces literary and rare words useful for crossword solvers and setters as well as Scrabble players
• Includes the latest new words and extensive coverage of scientific and technical vocabulary
• Over 8,500 place names and 5,500 biographies
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.
Note that audio pronunciations require an active internet connection.
* Bug fixing
* Dictionary database updated to the latest edition from 2014
Version 4.3.103 features: