This application allows you to listen to your favorite internet radio stations even when you're offline (Internet connection required to record the stations at scheduled times).
Here's how it works:
- Add your favorite internet radio stations
- The app records them automatically at scheduled times
- You can listen to the recordings even without an internet connection
You can for example set the app to record the stations every night when you're at home and you have WiFi. Then during the day when you don't have an internet connection, or when the connection is too slow for internet radio, you can listen to the fresh recordings the app made. I personally use it in my car when I drive around, and there isn't always 3G coverage.
NOTE: I can't test this on all the Android devices out there, so if you have any problems please contact me from zRadio, phone's menu button / about/help (or send email from Google Play). If you only send me report via Android's own system, I won't be able to contact you to debug and fix the problem. My own bug reporting system also sends me better logs of what happened.
- Supports all formats supported by your phone. For example OGG is supported in Android 2.3+.
- The recordings are lossless (same quality as the station is sending). Only some lossless changes are done to some formats.
- Configurable recording start time and duration (global default and also settings for individual channels). You can also set a station to be recorded manually only.
- You can create multiple recording rules for stations and select weekdays (Pro only).
- The length of the recordings is only limited by your SDCard size, so you'll always have something to listen to when you're offline. (Recording length in Lite mode is 20 min / station).
- "Eyes-free" operation: Switch channel with the volume buttons (safer in car for example). (Phone's menu button / Settings / Playback / Vol. keys change channel).
- Application pauses recording when phone's current connection type is disabled in the settings and then resumes automatically when the phone connects via an allowed connection type.
- Max. bandwidth available setting, so that the app records only x channels simultaneously. The other channels are queued until bandwidth becomes available (Phone's menu button / Settings / Recording / Max bandwidth).
- Seeking (Settings / UI / Show seek buttons)
Free (Lite) mode has the following restictions:
(You can buy the pro unlocker to remove these restrictions)
- Maximum number of stations is 2.
- You can't select weekdays or create many rules per station (advanced rec. rules).
- Recording length is 20min per station.
"I love great music, but I don't want to spend time finding it. I want a professional DJ to play a great mix of new and old music along with commentary. Frankly, the new internet streaming services (Pandora, Slacker, Spotify) aren't good enough for my tastes. None of them have replaced the professional DJ. SiriusXM is the only exception, which my wife has in her car. However, their streaming doesn't offer time-shifting or mobile caching. Additionally, I don't want to pay $12/month for each device. There are lots of radio stations streaming their music on the web. Minnesota Public Radio's "The Current" is a great example. My dilemma: streaming radio doesn't offer time-shifting or mobile caching. Streaming radio works only when I'm hooked up on the internet listening live. What do I listen to when I'm not on wifi or if I want to listen to a program that aired at a different time? zRadio solved this for me. Now I can schedule it to record some great radio programs every night so that I always have access to a variety of fresh quality music. So far the app is working just as advertised and I haven't noticed any problems with it." - Jesse, 5 stars
Keywords: Internet radio, offline, record, recorder, airplane mode, buffer, bufferer, scheduler, schedule, scheduled, pvr, cache, timeshift, timeshifting
Sorry for the long delay. Contact me if you want to receive the future beta versions of zRadio before I release.
July 28 2013:
- New: Keep old recs. (settings / rec. storage, or the app will tell you about it at first launch after update).
- Lots of tweaks/optimizations/fixes.
- Fixes for Android 4.x
FULL CHANGELOG: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1597174