This tool can backup your SMS messages, MMS messages, and call logs, for specified or all numbers, into a zip file, which can be sent to you for archiving. The tool can also delete those backed-up messages and/or call logs from your device if requested. Once backup is done, you can `share` the zip archive, allowing
you store it using any apps on your device which can share (e.g. email, gmail,
Google Drive, DropBox, Box, etc).
It fills a niche which other apps in this space do not cover, which is presenting a human-readable archive and accompanying browser based viewer tools for SMS, MMS and call logs (including MMS attachments).
This supports Android 2.1 and above.
This zip file created by the tool contains:
- viewer files (index.html, stylesheet and .js script)
- json files containing execution summary, call logs and messages
- MMS attachments referenced from messages (mms._ID_._filename_)
The source is freely available at http://github.com/ugorji/android-conversation-backup.
- Fixed issue with inability to open up some zip files, caused by an underlying Java bug (http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4244499) and historically poor unicode support in zip.
- Allow sending archive via different sharing modes (bluetooth, email, online storage e.g. google drive, etc)