DashLight is a simple and lightweight widget, app, and DashClock extension, that acts as a toggle for your device's camera flash/led (or screen brightness), allowing you to use it as a torch / flashlight.
DashLight works great as an app, widget, DashClock extension, or Tasker plugin – the only app to combine all these options seamlessly.
Each component can also be used independently of the others, if you wish.
The widget can be placed on the homescreen or the lockscreen (or both), and its appearance is fully customisable (with the upgrade), allowing it to blend in with any theme you may have on your device.
The app allows users without a camera flash on their device to use the screen as a bright light source.
While the extension is the first dedicated torch/flashlight DashClock extension.
A small Tasker plugin is also included (upgrade only), allowing you to do crazy things such as flashing the LED upon receiving notifications, or shaking your device to activate the light. Get creative!
Feel free to email me if you come up with any good DashLight-related Tasker profiles that can be shared with other users.
• Due to the way DashClock works, I am currently unable to toggle the flash directly from the lock screen using the extension – i.e. Without unlocking the device.
Unfortunately, this is a limitation of DashClock, not this app.
• The widget however, can toggle the flash directly from the lock screen, without unlocking.
• The app was added due to a bug in Android 4.0/ICS that prevented me from having a properly functioning widget-only "app" (Issue 24208). It is also useful for users without a camera flash.
• DashLight will not work properly from the lockscreen if you have Face Unlock enabled, as the camera cannot be accessed by two apps at the same time. i.e. DashLight and Face Unlock.
DashLight is the most complete, well designed, and intuitive app torch app available. Best of all, it is (90%) free, with no ads in sight!
• DashClock extension
• Widget – Homescreen and Lockscreen
• Customisable widget appearance – blend in with any theme
• App – Screen light so no camera flash required
• Hide App Drawer Icon – Remove the app drawer icon if you only use the widget/extension
• Tasker plugin
• Control DashLight externally (see Devs section below)
• Notification tray toggle (off only)
• Auto-Off timer
• Kit Kat Immersive Mode for Screen Light
• Clean Holo design
• Simple, effective, and lightweight
• No ads and no internet permission required
You can now integrate DashLight control in to your own apps!
Simply broadcast an Intent with one of the following actions:
Drop me an email at [email protected]
if you have any other requests.
Prolonged use of the LED as a flashlight/torch may cause overheating, and damage to your device.
I have only been able to test on a Nexus 4/5/7, so please let me know if you have any problems with your particular device, preferably via email (don't forget to include which device you have!).
• CAMERA – required in order to control and toggle the camera flash (categorised as part of the camera hardware)
• WAKE_LOCK – used to prevent issues with the flash potentially turning off when the device sleeps (e.g. If the screen goes for an extended amount of time, but you want to keep the flash on)
• BILLING – allows the in-app upgrade to work
• Improved performance - See "Advanced" settings
• New 'Light Source' setting
• Better error logging
• Bug fixes
• NEW: Hide App Drawer icon (Upgrade-only)
• NEW: Immersive Mode for 4.4 Kit Kat devices when using the Screen Light
• NEW: DashClock extension visibility scheduling
• Better HTC device compatibility:
• Light now stays on even after device is locked/screen off
• NEW: Choose size of lockscreen widget
• NEW: Tasker plugin (Upgrade-only)