The objective of Document Knowledge Miner is to enable individuals with print disabilities, AND EVERYONE ELSE, to more easily acquire knowledge from digital files (PDF, Word, EPUB, RTF, and text files)... even if those files were not created with accessibility, usability, or readability in mind.
This is accomplished through indirect use (through the app) of IDEAL Group's, cloud-based, Knowledge Discovery engine.
When Document Knowledge Miner Launches
1. Searches your Android device for files intended to be read;
2. Presents a list of all files found;
3. The user is then able to filter, sort, and select any file they wish to summarize;
4. The user taps on the name of the file they wish to summarize;
5. The file is automatically uploaded to IDEAL Groups Knowledge-Discovery engine;
6. The file is processed. Steps include:
- Intelligent parsing;
- Removing structure, navigation, and presentation elements;
- Identifying key/concept words;
- Ranking key/concept words by frequency and importance;
- Establishing relationships between all key/concept words
- Summarizing references to key/concept words; and,
- Providing all collateral back to the user.
The user can then opt to:
- Drive down into each key/concept word directly to read key/concept word summaries; or,
- Convert the results into a fully-accessible ePub.
We recommend converting results into ePubs.
- Processes documents may take several minutes to complete;
- We do not process DRM-protected, text-image-based, or very large files;
- Processing large files, or collections of files will be pay-for services;
- Summarizations are not designed to replace reading documents;
- Summarizations are intended to supplement learning.
If you opt to convert your summaries into ePubs you will need to have an ePub reader installed on your Android device. We recommend installing IDEAL Group Reader, our fully-accessible, fully-compatible Android ePub3 reader (free). It is available from Google's Play Store.
Benefits of Key/Concept Word Summaries
- Highlight what is important
- Enhance comprehension
- Reduce confusion
- Enables more concise understandings
- Helps to relate to and build upon prior knowledge
- Makes it easier to acquire new knowledge and understand support information;
In addition to this Android app, direct computer-based access to IDEAL Group's Knowledge-Discovery services enable users, through the use of a browser on any platform device, to automatically:
- List all key/concept words alphabetically and by importance;
- Generate summaries based upon user-selected concept words;
- Generate interactive mind maps from each user-selected key/concept word;
- Provide files suitable for importing into powerful third-party applications;
Examples of Browser-Based Knowledge-Discovery Results
For More Information
For more information please contact Steve Jacobs, President, IDEAL Group, Inc. | CEO, Apps4Android, Inc. | [email protected]
| Phone: (614) 777-0660 | TTY: (800) 750-0750
The Document Knowledge Miner development project was funded, in part, by The App Factory, a project hosted by The Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center (RERC) for Wireless Technologies. The RERC for Wireless Technologies is sponsored by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) of The U.S. Department of Education under grant number H133E110002. Note: Opinions expressed in this presentation are those of IDEAL Group, Inc., Apps4Android, Inc. and/or Context Discovery Inc. and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Department of Education or NIDRR.