With DrivingSMS you can listen to all the SMS messages you receive, and call the sender totally hands-free. If you activate the app, when you receive a message it will say from who it is, and if you want to read it you just have to say "READ". Furthermore, you can say "CALL" to call the sender or "REPLY" to dictate your message.
The Pro version allows you to reply with a vocally composed message, adds the option to activate DrivingSMS automatically when you turn on Bluetooth on your device or plug your headset in, a widget to switch on/off the app, and several other settings.
- The new permissions are requested to send the reply message.
- The CALL_PHONE permission is not used to make phone calls unbeknownst to you. It's just to allow you to say "CALL" and start a phone call to the message sender.
- DrivingSMS checks for Text-to-speech data presence in your device, and if you haven't installed a voice recognition software (e.g.: Google Voice Search https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.voicesearch ) it will prompt you to do so. Both (TTS especially) are needed for the app to work properly.
- If you have more than a TTS engine on you device, on the first start of the app choose one ad set it as default, then re-enter DrivingSMS.
- IMPORTANT: on Android 4.0 and following, if you don't hear anything check your text-to-speech settings in Settings, Input and language.
- Voice Recognition performance/behavior are indepentent from DrivingSMS.
Google Voice Search could be slower than usual for KitKat devices, but that isn't due to an app malfunction. Just say your voice command and wait a few more seconds, hopefully Google will fix that soon!
Currently supported languages: English, Italian
App review by TuttoAndroid.net (Italian) : http://www.tuttoandroid.net/applicazioni/app-of-the-day-drivingsms-118365/
1.6 - Improved Bluetooth audio
1.5.2 - Now the app works properly with Android KitKat
1.5 - Added voice output through Bluetooth device, if connected (only for Android 3.0 and over)
1.4 - The warning if you have other SMS app installed is now less invasive (top of the screen)
1.3 - NEW features!: turn on on headset plug, and REPLY voice command