Created at Ball State University, The Traveler is a trip journal and digital sketchbook, designed for anyone who travels and wants to capture the experience in one seamless package.
The app is available for Android phones and tablets running Android 4.0 or above, with additional capabilities included for the Samsung Galaxy Note device line‐up.
The Traveler features the integration of captured photos, short videos, drawn sketches, recorded audio files, quick location markers, and GPS tracking into a package that allows the user to organize information and media in an efficient and travel‐friendly interface. With Google Maps built into the app, users can retrace their steps, noting the locations where photos and other media assets were collected and the path traveled along the way.
For Samsung Galaxy Note devices, Traveler includes support for the S Pen to provide a sketching and drawing canvas for digital sketchbook capabilities.
* Capture photos, videos and audio on your trip and a marker will be added to the map where they were created;
* Start, pause or stop a new recording, or add a marker from Android Wear;
* Sync fitness activities as you travel with Google Fit;
* View charts depicting your fitness activities;
* Capture photos with Google Glass and share with your trip;
* Record your path and view on The Traveler web site;
* Export paths to Google Drive;
* Export paths to a file and import using your favorite map app or software;
* Share media with friends and family using your favorite social media apps;
* Share your entire trip with friends and family using Google Drive sync;
* Work offline to record your trips no matter where your travels take you;
* Sketch and draw with a variety of brushes, tools and colors using the S Pen.
Ball State University students, faculty and staff can connect their university account for additional features, including:
* Ability to sync all content (trips, paths and media) to a server at the university for archival and transferring to other devices;
* Invite others to join a trip;
* Share photos and other media assets between travelers;
* Invite friends and family to view your travels on the The Traveler web site - https://apps.bsu.edu/traveler
Help guides are available online at:
Web site for family and friends to view your travels:
- Use exif data from photos, if available, to retrieve date added and location information
- Minor bug fixes
- Search for trips, paths and media from the toolbar
- German language translation for The Traveler (thank you to a great user for providing the translations!)
- Google Fit integration
- Activity recognition while you are recording a path
- New charts depicting activity distance and duration for paths