This LITE interactive version of Braam and Piet van Wyk's Field Guide to Trees of Southern Africa is fully functional but includes ONLY 30 species, compared to more than 840 species in the full app. If you like the way this app works please check out the full version.
NB: Please note that an additional download of 35MB is required once this app has been installed. Please ensure you use a WiFi connection to prevent additional data costs.
This guide has species arranged in logical groups based on easy-to-observe leaf and stem characteristics.
* Search by English, Afrikaans or Scientific tree names.
* Images, distribution maps and text descriptions of 30 species found throughout the region.
* Most species have multiple full colour photographs for easy identification including photos of the full tree.
* A 'Group Search' that allows you to easily identify a tree species based on the characteristics of the leaves.
* A 'Compare' feature that allows you to compare two species on the same screen
* You can select a location in Southern Africa, so that the lists of trees throughout the program display only the trees in that location.
* A personal species list that stores your sightings saved to the device that can be exported to your storage card or via email in a CSV format.
For more wildlife guides see our other apps: Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa, Wildlife of Southern Africa, British Wildlife Photoguide, eSnakes of Southern Africa.
NB: there is a small chance that My List could be deleted, please make sure you have another copy saved elsewhere.
Updated with data from the new field guide which includes new photos, distribution maps, text and a bigger focus on the tree groups.
* Added a new alphabetic index that is sorted by species.
* Updated My Location to an interactive map that allows you to tap on a location or let it find your current location and only show the trees for that location.