Explore Kentucky History is a free app that puts Kentucky’s History at your fingertips. Explore Kentucky’s many unique historic places and take self-guided tours of the state’s rich history.
The Kentucky Historical Society explores the state’s history through its historical sites, markers, and landscapes. Find interesting people, places and events in Kentucky’s history, and take curated historical tours through regions and communities across the state. With a growing list of interpretive stories, beginning with the state’s historical markers, each point on the interactive GPS-enabled map includes historical information about the location, along with historic images from Kentucky’s archival collections and historical publications. Many sites also include short documentary videos or audio clips based on expert research or oral history interviews.
You can find more information about Kentucky Historical Society on the web at history.ky.gov or visit the project website at explorekyhistory.ky.gov.
* Interactive map with more than 50 historical locations and topics at launch, with additional locations being added each month.
* Historic images
* Interpretive audio
* Documentary videos
* Directions to each location on the map
* Sharing via Facebook, Twitter, and email
* Curated Tours exploring map locations
* Historical content: Kentucky Historical Society.
* Project Director: Jody Blankenship, Education Director, Kentucky Historical Society.
* Project Contact: Becky Riddle, Program Coordinator, Kentucky Historical Society. [email protected]
* Explore Kentucky History uses the Curatescape Tool (www.curatescape.org) developed by the Center for Public History + * Digital Humanities at Cleveland State University.
* The Concept & Technical Development of Curatescape was developed and led by Dr. Mark Tebeau and the CPHDH Team.
* Graphic design: Epstein Design Partners (epsteindesign.com)
* Software development: DXY Solutions (dxysolutions.com)
Fixed Android 2.3 item descriptions bug and updated link formatting.