YOU CAN DO IT ON A PLANE!
Flight Map HD is a unique application that works as your own personal flight tracker (Sky map) while flying in an airplane. It shows where you currently are, speed, altitude and some other information about your flight. You can check the Estimated Time of Arrival of your flight while you are sitting on a plane. You can see how far from the target airport you are. You can also see and name the landmarks on the way, so that you know what you see from your window.
This is an HD version of everyone's favorite Flight Map. Due to popular demand there are two more map zoom levels included, so that more detail is visible while flying. Please beware that due to the world being really big, you need 1 GB of space on your device to download and unpack the map in this HD version. When running Flight Map HD for the first time please be patient, it has to unpack thousands of map tiles into a directory structure, so it takes several minutes even on the fastest of devices.
Flight Map HD also displays visible and used GPS / GLONASS satellites, so you can use it as a GPS testing tool. The GPS function works when your phone is in airplane mode, because it does not broadcast any radio, it rather listens to the GPS satellites only.
- Real time position of the plane on the map
- Zoomable world map not dependent on a connection to internet
- Your own personal flight tracker
- Works when your phone is in Airplane mode, so it can be used anytime while in flight
- Recording your route and sharing it on the internet
- Database of world airports
- Entering destination as longitude / latitude coordinates
- Estimated Time to Destination and Time to Arrival depending on the plane type and position
- Dark / Light skin
- Metric / Imperial units
- Multilanguage (currently English, Spanish, Portugese, French, Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Czech, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Hungarian)
- Map can be fullscreen or split screen with real time flight data
- GPS / GLONASS Satellites real time display depending on your device capabilities
- Sunrise and sunset at present position
- Line to destination can be shown or hidden
- Altitude calculation calibrated either to sea level or destination altitude
Please note that Flight Map HD is heavily dependent on the quality of your device's GPS capabilities. If your device is capable of A-GPS (Assisted GPS), please run the application while on the ground, so that the satellites' positions get downloaded from the internet, it will be much easier for the device to pick up signal when in the air.
Please share your experience with various devices. Most of the time Flight Map HD works perfectly when sitting in a window seat and does not work too good when sitting two seats from the window or more. In any case we recommend to move the device to the window, let it pick up the satellites signal first and then try how far from the window it can pick up the signal. The screen showing the visible and used satellites is designed to help you with this.
If your device is capable of receiving GLONASS signal, the satellites are shown with a differently colored border. If you want to translate Flight Map into your language (or correct our translation), please contact the developer. The first run of the application takes a while because it needs to unpack the whole world map to be able to display it.
Polish translation thanks to Tomasz Pryca
Hungarian translation thanks to Dr. Istvan Lunczer
Fixed bug deleting the map tiles on some devices and not displaying the map when run the second time.
Fixed bug preventing from unpacking the map on some devices
More detailed map included in the package that has to be downloaded automatically as a separate file.