Coming soon in 2015: new Health Star Ratings label mode
Coming soon in 2015: new SugarSwitch, EnergySwitch and FatSwitch filters to help even more people with different health needs
When you are grocery shopping the many brand choices can be overwhelming, and packaged foods are often surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules. So how can you decide which products to put in your basket and make better choices for you and your family?
By using FoodSwitch!
The app helps you find out what’s in the food you’re eating and can help you make simple switches to healthier choices when grocery shopping for you and your family.
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake
- GlutenSwitch helps people living with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance as it also identifies if a packaged food contains gluten or not.
- Get immediate, easy-to-understand nutritional information from a large, independent, Australian packaged food products database.
- Simple ‘traffic light’ colour-coded ratings for 4 key food components (total fat, saturated fat, sugar and salt) so you can see how healthy a product is at a glance
- Use the GlutenSwitch filter to see if a food product contains gluten and to find gluten-free products
- Get a list of similar foods to the item you scanned that are healthier choices to switch to, where available
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised shopping lists
- Export your lists of healthier choices or share them with friends and family
FoodSwitch has been developed by Bupa and The George Institute for Global Health to help Australians make healthier food choices.
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit www.bupa.com.au/foodswitch.
© The George Institute for Global Health 2014. FoodSwitch provides nutritional information and healthier alternatives based on a scientific algorithm developed by The George Institute for Global Health and licensed to Bupa Australia Pty Ltd ABN 81 000 057 590 (“Bupa”). The information has been developed and reviewed by health professionals and to the best of their knowledge is current and based on reputable sources of evidence at the time of publishing. Whilst every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the data, no warranty of this accuracy is provided. All users, especially those with special dietary requirements or food sensitivities, should assess the accuracy and relevance of this information for their personal circumstances. The information should be used as a guide only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional medical advice. The George Institute and Bupa are not liable for any loss or damage you suffer arising out of the use of or reliance on the information, except that which cannot be excluded by law. We recommend that you consult your doctor or other qualified health professional if you have questions or concerns about your, or your family’s health.
Local application database has been updated.
3 new filters and HSR mode will be available soon.