Hands-Free SMS is just what it sounds like – a Hands Free SMS application that you use to listen to and respond to SMS Text messages without using your hands. Instead, Hands-Free SMS is completely voice activated. Hands-Free SMS will automatically let you know when you have an incoming SMS text message and read the incoming SMS message if configured to do so. After reading the SMS, the application will ask you if you would like to reply to the SMS. If you reply “Yes”, it will ask for your reply. All you need to do is speak to the app to tell it what you want your reply to be. The app will then read your reply back to you, and once you confirm the correctness of the response, it is automatically sent on its way.
Note that recent updates to Google Search cause problems with Bluetooth connectivity. Disabling the "Bluetooth headset" option under "Settings" under Google Now will address this. When this option is enabled, Google Now automatically disconnects Hands Free SMS from the Bluetooth headset so it can have exclusive rights to the headset.
Note Bluetooth is only supported on Android Versions Jelly Bean and above.
Hands-Free SMS has the following options:
1. Request Reply: If selected, the application will ask you if you would like to reply to each incoming SMS text message. If not selected, then you will not be prompted for a reply.
2. Hands Free Mode: When selected, Hands-Free SMS will automatically turn on your screen, bring the app to the foreground, and start reading your incoming SMS (or ask you if you want it read to you if the next option is selected). When you are done interacting with Hands-Free SMS, the screen will automatically turn off. This setting provides a completely hands free experience without the necessity of keeping the screen on all the time. It is great for saving battery life! When this option is not selected, a notification will be added to the notification bar which you can click on to hear the SMS.
3. Auto Read New SMS: If selected, Hands-Free SMS will automatically read all incoming SMS text messages to you without asking if you would like it read first. When not selected, you will be told who the incoming text message is from, and asked if you want it read to you.
4. Automatic Reply: When selected, Hands-Free SMS will automatically reply to all received SMS messages (only if the app is enabled) with a message of your choosing.
5. Auto Start on SMS: When selected, if the app is not running already, it will provide a notification you can click on to have new SMS messages read aloud.
6. Enable Bluetooth Mode: When selected, the app will connect to a hands free device (headset, car adapter) and perform all speaking and voice recognition functions through that. If no Bluetooth device is available, the app will use the phones speaker as always.
7. Auto Enable on Bluetooth Headset Connect: When selected, the app will automatically enable itself upon connecting to a Bluetooth headset (or hands-free car adapter). The app will disable when the Bluetooth headset is disconnected.
Required Permissions (and why):
1. RECEIVE_SMS/SEND_SMS: Needed so the app can read and send SMS messages.
2. READ_SMS/WRITE_SMS: These permissions allow the app to save outgoing SMS messages to you SMS mailbox just as the standard android SMS application does.
3. READ_CONTACTS: This permission allows the app to read your contacts so that when an SMS text message is received, it can tell you by name who the SMS is from.
4. RECORD_AUDIO: This permission is used by the speech recognizer functionality of the app.
5. WAKE_LOCK: This permission is required to allow the app to turn the screen on in hands free mode.
6. BLUETOOTH/MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Required for Bluetooth connectivity.
Note: If you would like to try Hands-Free SMS for free, look for our free version, Hands-Free SMS Lite. Note the free version has some limitations.
-New feature to allow selection of what Bluetooth devices activate the app when connected. A special thank you to one of our customers, Andy, for the suggestion!