The distinguishing feature of the GF Offline Translator is that it can translate 14 languages completely offline and the translation works from any to any language. Despite this it fits in less than 30MB on your device. The translator is designed for natural languages but is based on programming language technology. This is what gives us compact size and lets us control the translation quality. The small size is also what allows us to put everything on the device and to translate offline. Currently we have grammars and dictionaries for English, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Swedish and Thai. The confidence of the translation is indicated with colours:
- Green: semantic translation, should be correct. But not necessarily the only correct one.
Yellow: syntactic translation, should be grammatically correct. But can be very strange in its interpretation and choice of words.
- Light red: chunk translation, probably incorrect. Builds the translation from small pieces.
- Dark red: word-by-word translation, almost certainly incorrect. Builds the translation word by word.
You can translate both speech and text, as selected in the menu. It works between any pair of the supported languages, which means 182 language pairs at the moment. There are some caveats:
* The app works optimally from English and also from Swedish. From other languages it can be slow and give more red results.
* The dictionaries can have errors, since they are partly extracted automatically.
* Speech input from Hindi and output to Bulgarian don't work currently.
* In Chinese, speech input is Mandarin but output is Cantonese (Yue).
* For translation from Japanese and Thai you have to split the words by spaces
As we are constantly working on the app, expect frequent updates and improvements!
When you tap on a translation you get a screen with alternative translations. Tapping on each of the alternatives gives you grammatical information: an inflection table, if it is a single word, and a syntax tree otherwise.
The app also provides an input method which you can use as an alternative keyboard which allows you to do translation from other applications, for instance while you are entering SMS or e-mail. To activate it go to Settings > Language & input.
This app does not show ads and we promise that it will never do.
Powered by GF (http://www.grammaticalframework.org), built by support from the GF community and from Digital Grammars (http://www.digitalgrammars.com).
Digital Grammars can tailor this app to you needs - tell us what you want to see in the green area!
Several fixes in different dictionaries. The grammars are simplified to get faster translation but unfortunately this might also mean worse translations in some corner cases. Added translation to/from Japanese and Thai. The translation from these languages works only if the words in the sentence are separated by spaces.