The Human Language Compiler is a translator for human language based on programming language technology. Therefore it is compact in size and gives control on quality. Currently we have grammars and dictionaries for English, Bulgarian, Chinese, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Spanish and Swedish. The confidence of the translation is indicated with colours:
- Green: semantic translation, should be correct. But not necessarily the only correct one.
Yellow: syntactic translation, should be grammatically correct. But can be very strange in its interpretation and choice of words.
- Light red: chunk translation, probably incorrect. Builds the translation from small pieces.
- Dark red: word-by-word translation, almost certainly incorrect. Builds the translation word by word.
You can translate both speech and text, as selected in the menu. It works between any pair of the supported languages, which means 110 language pairs at the moment. There are some caveats:
* The app works optimally from English and also from Swedish. From other languages it can be slow and give more red results.
* The dictionaries can have errors, since they are partly extracted automatically.
* Speech input from Hindi and output to Bulgarian don't work currently.
* In Chinese, speech input is Mandarin but output is Cantonese (Yue).
As we are constantly working on the app, expect frequent updates and improvements!
When you tap on a translation you get a screen with alternative translations. Tapping on each of the alternatives gives you grammatical information: an inflection table, if it is a single word, and a syntax tree otherwise.
The app also provides an input method which you can use as an alternative keyboard which allows you to do translation from other applications, for instance while you are entering SMS or e-mail. To activate it go to Settings > Language & input.
The Human Languge Compiler works completely off-line, without internet connection, although being on-line may give you better speech input and output. The app is small (around 23 MB for all languages). We do not show ads.
Powered by GF (http://www.grammaticalframework.org), built by support from the GF community and from Digital Grammars (http://www.digitalgrammars.com).
Digital Grammars can tailor this app to you needs - tell us what you want to see in the green area!