The Ice Dragon GPS Tracker was written for a high altitude balloon project launched at the end of 2012. The tracker was used record the flight path of the balloon as well as report back its location once it returned to the ground.
The tracker would work well for a number of other settings such as boating, hiking, traveling, or anywhere you would like to track location.
The app has the following features
- Records GPS data points including altitude, bearing, latitude, longitude, and speed.
- The ability to configure the frequency and accuracy of GPS coordinates recorded.
- The ability to have the plots sent to a phone via SMS.
- The ability to have the plots sent to a web server via HTTP requests.
- The app will save a local copy of all data to the cards local storage devices.
- The app can be configured to restart itself upon reboot in cause of an unexpected reboot.
- Smart power consumption utilizing only the functionality enabled and connected to the appropriate network.
The source code for this project can be found at the link below and is open source under GNU General Public License, version 3 (GPL3.0) ( http://opensource.org/licenses/GPL3.0 )
There is a user manual for the application that can be downloaded here:
If you wish to learn more about the Ice Dragon High Altitude Project you can read more about it here:
DISCLAIMER: The use of this application is provided "AS IS" and NO guarantee, implied or express, is provided should there be any error, data loss or any other event causing any malfunction whatsoever. It is up to the user to to test and determine if it's use matches the application it's being applied to.
- fixed permissions to allow installation to tablets