K12 Equivalence Tiles lets you compare the values of fractions, decimals, and percents up to 1 by using draggable tiles of varying values.
Fractions, decimals, and percents are used in everyday life—this app is a quick way for students to understand how they relate simply by dragging and dropping tiles of equivalent value. K12 Equivalence Tiles is not a calculator; it is a tool for students who have trouble understanding rational number equivalence (for example, 0.5, 1/2, 50% are all equal). This tool also allows students to visually perform simple operations like addition, subtraction, comparison, and ordering.
- Designed for phones and tablets
- Proportionally sized tiles visually demonstrate equivalence of fractions, decimals, and percents
- Multiple rows to compare several fractions, decimals, or percents at once
- Fraction tiles of 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, 1/10, and 1/12
- Decimal tiles of 1.0, 0.5, 0.33, 0.25, 0.2, 0.166, 0.125, 0.1, and 0.083
- Percent tiles of 100%, 50%, 33.3%, 25%, 20%, 16.6%, 12.5%, 10%, and 8.3%
- Equivalence chart shows how fractions, decimals, and percents relate to each other
- Simple drag-and-drop controls for grade 3–12 students, parents, and teachers
- “Clear All” icon allows users to clear the entire workspace with a simple click
- Move draggable tiles to trash can individually to remove selected tiles from the workspace
Key Objectives and Standards:
- Big Idea: Equivalence is a fundamental property of rational numbers; equivalent fractions, percents, and decimals all name the same relationship between two values.
- Grade 3 Common Core Standards: 3.NF.1, 3.NF.2, 3.NF.3
-- Develop understanding of fractions as numbers.
- Grade 4 Common Core Standards: 4.NF.2., 4.NF.3, 4.NF.5, 4.NF.6, 4.NF.7
--Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering.
--Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
--Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
Feedback and Questions?
K12 Equivalence Tiles was created by K12 Inc. as part of its comprehensive Math curriculum. Learn more about K12:
- K12 Virtual Schools and Curriculum: http://www.k12.com/what-is-k12
- Other K12 Mobile Apps: http://www.k12.com/mobile-apps
For help with technical problems or other feedback, please e-mail [email protected]