How often have you been in a situation where you wanted to keep family or a friend informed about your location or whereabouts when you are traveling or to just keep them updated as such? You are not going to call them every few hours to do that!
With Kahan (its translation in English is ‘Where?’) doing just exactly that is now a 30 second task You can keep any single person you wish informed about your location continuously and automatically without your interference through SMS(text messaging) and even if your mobile internet connection is not ON!
So how does Kahan work?
Suppose Tina wants to keep Andrew informed about her location as she is on a day long visit outside the city
1. Install the Kahan App. In this case Tina will install the app on her android mobile
2. Enter your name. In this case ‘Tina’
3. Enter the mobile number of the person you want to keep informed. In this case Andrew’s mobile no
4. Enter the intervals in which you want the location to be messaged e.g. every 10 minutes, 30 Minutes, 1 Hour, 6
hours, 24 hours etc. Basically you can select any time interval you want ranging from 1 minute to 24 hours
5. At any point of time you can open the app and Stop sending the messages
That’s it, you are done. Now periodically a SMS mentioning your exact location will be sent to the receiver person without any effort or call or email etc. required from you. So Tina can focus on her work and Andrew will be continuously aware about Tina’s location just through SMS!
More details.. read on if you want to go deeper!
Why is Kahan different?
- There are many location based apps out there however Kahan’s setup is super simple and it works on just SMS
without the sender or receiver having to login, setup etc.
- Kahan app runs in the background while you continue to talk or do other activities on your mobile
- If you restart your mobile ‘Kahan’ app will automatically start in the background and send your location to the
receiver. This is also good to have in case your mobile is lost or stolen
- If the sender’s mobile internet is not working the receiver will still get a SMS with a link which when opened will
show the location of the sender on receiver’s map on the mobile
If you face any trouble please feel free to shoot an email to [email protected]
Some users gave feedback of the auto-restart of the messaging when the app starts and has hence been rectified.
Introduced cool notifications for the user to know when his location messages are sent!
App was crashing for some versions of Android. Issue fixed
The UI has been changed
The SMSes now continue to be sent even if the phone is restarted