Kanji UP! is an application that helps you learn to recall and write 2042 Japanese Kanji characters. It currently supports the Heisig ordering and method of study which focuses on recall of the kanji based on meaning only.
- Study Kanji by practicing them one by one.
- Information displayed: meaning, strokes, readings.
- You can enter a short story to help you remember them.
- You can practice drawing the Kanji with the option to trace over an underlay of the correct Kanji.
Quick Test Mode:
- Quiz yourself on the Kanji which you have studied.
- You are given an area to write your answer down, and can then compare your answer with the correct answer.
- After answering, you can practice writing the Kanji to re-inforce the correct writing in case of mistakes.
Scheduled Test Mode:
- When enabled, the application will automatically schedule quizzes for you based on past performance.
- Based on proven spaced-repetition algorithms which schedules problemmatic sooner, to make the most efficient use of your time, and to keep your knowledge retention high.
You can have the app remind you when it's time to study. Never again forget to do some practice drills each day!
Add problematic Kanji to your starred list for later review with the tap of the star symbol.
At any time a Kanji is displayed, you can tap on it to see stroke order animations. Three speeds of animation are available under Settings.
Important Note: If you are upgrading from the lite version, note that stories you entered in the lite version won't copy over automatically. Please use the backup function under settings to save a copy of your current stories, and then use the restore function in the full version after it has been installed.
In case of issues, please contact the support email for help. Feature requests/suggestions are all welcome.
This application makes use of the following valuable sources of Kanji data:
- KanjiVG, Copyright 2009-2015 Ulrich Apel.
- KANJIDIC, Copyright 2014 The Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group.
- Writing practice added to the Study screen.
- Improved layout of Study screen to allow for larger Kanji display.
- Kanji overlay mode available in writing pad in Test mode.
- Fixes and stability improvements.
- New spaced-repetition feature called Scheduled Testing.
- New material design theme.
- Ability to star kanji for later review.
- Back-up/restore feature.