King’s Cross, London - Streetstories is an immersive audio walking guide with a difference.
As you walk through the streets of King’s Cross, London, the app will automatically activate stories relevant to your GPS location. Whether you’re a first time visitor or a local resident, walk with fresh ears and eyes as you hear tales - old and new - from this part of London.
Streetstories is perfect if you have half an hour to spare to explore the area. Listen to 10 stories, from the sublime architecture of Gilbert Scott’s St Pancras to the Guardian’s home Kings Place, a cutting edge new arts complex.
Alternatively if you’d rather listen off-location, use the app in manual mode to access all the stories.
The app covers a section of King’s Cross and St Pancras.
Produced by the Guardian, whose UK offices are in the landmark Kings Place development in King’s Cross, the app provides an entertaining and atmospheric experience of the ‘Railwaylands’ area - rich in history, and rapidly regenerating.
Full feature list:
• Multi-layered audio with sounds, music and stories
• This version features a selection of 10 stories, including interviews with local historians, experts and local people. Stories include:
- Readings from Charles Dickens, set in the area
- The sublime architecture of Gilbert Scott’s St Pancras
- The area’s seedy past - including interviews with former street workers
- The Guardian’s home Kings Place, a cutting edge new arts complex
- Custom map view: Stories are mapped with dots - use pinch and zoom to help navigate
- Dual playback modes for on-location or off-location use. Autoplay uses GPS to keep track of your location, and auto-activate stories. Manual mode allows you to activate stories and listen from off-location by tapping on story dots
- Locate me button: Pinpoint your position in autoplay mode
NOTE: We’d appreciate feedback on your experience, and suggestions for how we might improve any future versions. Please leave feedback in Google Play or contact [email protected]
The app is developed in partnership with Calvium, Ltd.