LayaTarang (rhythmic waves) is a Hindustani music related app intended for the practice of Layakari (Polyrhythm) under basic hindustani taals. Layakari means the play of rhythm i.e., the simultaneous playing of two different rhythms. It is similar to the Polyrhythm in western music. With LayaTarang, learners of hindustani music ( tabla, vocal and instrumental ) and dance ( kathak) can sharpen their Layakari skills. The app provides an ability to play 5 basic tabla taal in 8 different layakari and their combinations. Optional mode with tabla teka on 'barabar' and metronome in selected 'laya' is useful for kathak dance practice and Hindustani vocal or instrumental music practice. The visual hand and finger indication helps in practice of reciting 'teka' in different layakari while mainting the 'tala' with hand. The tabla bols are displayed in devanagiri or english script in the form useful to learn writing taals in the Pt. Paluskar and Pt. Bhatkhande notation systems..
Features are as follows,
- 15 tabla taals viz., tin tal, rupak, dadra, jhap tal, keherwa, ekTal, chautal, dipchandi, jhumra, khempta, sultal, pashtutal, sitarkhani, tivra and tilwada
- 3 common sidhi layakari viz., dugun, tigun and chaugun and a combination of the 3
- 5 different tehri layakari with non integer rhythm ratios viz., 5/4, 3/2, 7/4, 5/2 and 7/2
- Optional Metronome with Ghunghru or Clap for the beats
- Optional mode with teka on barabar and metronome in selected laya (Useful for kathak/dance practice)
- Select number of avartan to play the teka in barabar and selected laya (Useful for kathak/dance practice)
- Notation for the teka in different layakari
- Display of vibhag along with the teka
- bols in either english, transliteration or devanagiri script
- Choose base tempo from 30bpm to 120bpm
- Visual karaoke like scrolling of the bols
- Indication of the matra and avartan while playing the layakari pattern
- Visual indication of the hand clap or wave
The app is for devices with Android version 2.1 or higher.
LayaTarang is a creation of SiddhiSadhana, the developers of LehraBox (a lehra machine in your andriod device) and ShruthiLaya (a carnatic music aide).
All future updates will be free. We look forward for your suggestions and feedback for easier usability as well as for increasing the usefulness of the app. Please contact us if you would like to see any feature in future updates.
+ Added new tals: EkTal, Chautal, Dipchandi, Jhumra, Khempta, Sultal, PashtuTal, Sitarkhani, Tivra and Tilwada
+ Added new feature to choose number of 'avartans' to play the 'tal teka' in 'barabar' and in the selected 'laya'
+ Improvements to display of the 'teka' with indication of 'vibhag'