This free interactive early reader ebook asks young children to touch the correct word on a screen of similar sounding words. The large type allows young readers to move their fingers along the words, while the alliterative and rhyming verse promote phonemic awareness. The app features two type faces, the first being a print based font, the same from which children learn to write. The second is OpenDyslexic a font that some people who have dyslexia find easier to read. This app is optimized for tablet devices.
This is a demo of the full version. It has three target words while the full version has sixteen. To protect your children from inappropriate content, it contains no third party ads! If you like this app please upgrade to the full paid version.
I developed this app due to a frustration that beginning reader books have small fonts and pictures that take away focus from the text. Flash cards are an alternative, but they have no content and meaning and are boring.
- Uses a very simple print based font, meaning the letters look like the letters they are taught to write.
- Has the option for a font called OpenDyxlesic that some people with dyslexia find easier to read.
- The font is made as large as possible so that the child’s finger can point at each letter as they sound it out.
- The verses are alliterative and/or rhyming to promote phonemic awareness.
- The child is asked to find the target word on a screen of words that sound and are spelled similarly. The puzzles encourage the child to look for patterns in the words to find the correct answer.
- The book is filled mostly with phonetically spelled words.
- There are three target words (Cat, Cow, Dog) for a total of 12 pages.
- There is a read-to-me button that can be removed through an options menu.
- This app is appropriate for preschool, kindergarten, and 1st grade children.
Visit my website and blog at www.corvidapps.com for more information about this app and information on learning with technology.
Check out http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lmb.ebooks.CatCat for the full paid version of this app with more content.
- This app does not collect any personal identifiable information.
- There are links to the Corvid Apps website and to Corvid Apps products.
- There are no third party ads.
About Corvid Apps:
My name is Laura and I am a mother and independent app developer. I am working hard to offer a large collection of fun, unique, educational kids apps. If you like my app please leave a positive review. If you have a problem or are unsatisfied please email me at [email protected]
I will do my best to rectify the situation. Visit my website and blog at corvidapps.com for more information about this app and information on learning with technology.
- Added new animations
- Added an option for a different font called OpenDyslexi that some people with dyslexia find easier to read
- Added a parent gate for links to rate the app or buy the paid version