This kid’s app prompts the reader to touch the correct word on a screen of similar sounding words. The large type allows young readers to move their fingers along the words while they sound it out, while the alliterative and rhyming verse promote phonemic awareness. This app is optimized for tablet devices.
This app has 16 target words, 13 more than the lite version.
I developed this app due to a frustration that beginning reader books have small fonts and pictures that take away focus from the text. Flash cards are an alternative, but they have no content and meaning and are boring.
- Uses a very simple print based font, meaning the letters look like the letters they are taught to write.
- The font is made as large as possible so that the child’s finger can point at each letter as they sound it out.
- The verses are alliterative and/or rhyming to promote phonemic awareness.
- The child is asked to find the target word on a screen of words that sound and are spelled similarly. The puzzles encourage the child to look for patterns in the words to find the correct answer.
- The book is filled mostly with phonetically spelled words.
- There are sixteen target words for a total of 64 pages.
- The target words are Cat, Dog, Cow, Baby, Duck, Dino, Pig, Truck, Bug, Rose, Slug, Vase, Boat, Nail, Tree and Moon.
- There is a read-to-me button that can be removed through an options menu.
Learn To Read helps achieve the following Common Core Standards
RF.K.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
- Recognize and produce rhyming words.
- Add or substitute individual sounds (phonemes) in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
RF.K.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ
ABOUT CORVID APPS:
My name is Laura and I am a stay-at-home mom keeping my foot in the software world by creating kids apps. I do all the coding, graphics, and marketing in the wee hours of the night and the brief moments the kids are playing nicely. I am working hard to offer a large collection of fun, unique, educational kid’s apps. If you like my app please leave a positive review. If you have a problem or are unsatisfied please email me at [email protected]
and I will do my best to rectify the situation. Visit my website and blog at www.corvidapps.com for more information about this app and information on learning with technology.