Locatr is an amazing TOTALLY FREE anti-theft app that allows you to locate a lost Android device using a web browser. Locatr includes everything you could need to get your phone back. Whether your device has been misappropriated by some miscreant or you've simply lost it under the couch again, you can use Locatr to get it back before those withdrawal symptoms set in.
!!! - If you're having trouble uninstalling Locatr, it's because you have set it as a Device Administrator. This is an Android imposed limitation, something all apps, especially anti-theft apps, suffer from. Open the app while logged in, then go to menu and hit "Device Admin". It should then allow you to uninstall the app. If you email me with your phone model number, I would be more than willing to walk you through the specific steps for your phone. - !!!
- LOCATE DEVICE: The classic "Find My Phone" feature. Locate your device using GPS or WiFi.
- PLAY RINGTONE: Disable silent mode and play a ringtone on a loop. (Hint: it's probably under the seat cushions ;P)
- DISPLAY ALERT: Display an alert with contact information and an optional "Call Owner" button.
- TRACK DEVICE: Enable tracking mode to track your device with GPS or WiFi and get email notifications of the devices's movements. Locatr is the only free find my phone app that I'm aware of that offers this feature.
- SUSPECT PHOTO : If tracking is enabled, Locatr will automatically email you a photo from the front-facing camera when your device's screen is turned on.
The above two features are, in my opinion, the best features in the app and the easiest way to catch a thief. Locatr also has free premium features like:
- LOCK DEVICE: Allows you to lock the lost device, set a new password, or remove your current password.
- REMOTE WIPE: Remotely wipe the lost device before it can be used for evil.
Locatr also includes these FREE premium features, that other so-called "free" anti-theft apps often charge extra for:
- Supports unlimited devices on an account for FREE.
- Unlimited saved device reports for FREE
- Uses no battery when not being used
- All traffic between Locatr and your devices is encrypted with SSL.
The best part? Unlike many other anti-theft apps, Locatr is absolutely free with no subscriptions, advertisements, or purchases.
Rather than have to remember text message codes and use another person's phone to activate Locatr, everything can be managed from the easy to use interface at http://www.abartow.com/locatr/.
A lost phone or tablet can happen to anyone, at any time. Installing Locatr now is the only way to be prepared to find your Android device and get it back if the unthinkable happens.
Once you've installed Locatr, go to http://abartow.com/locatr/ and log in with your Locatr account to use the web interface. I highly recommend that you take a few minutes after you install Locatr to familiarize yourself with the web interface, so you know exactly how everything works if you need to use the app in a hurry. You should also enable device tracking to confirm you're able to receive emails.
If you need support or have feedback, don't hesitate to contact me below.
Version 1.1.1 can toggle WiFI for location.
-- Version 1.1.0 --
I made some changes in response to feedback:
- Locatr now uses WiFi and network location sources, with GPS fallback.
- Bug fixes, better explanation screens.
- Web interface works better too, regardless of installed version.
Locatr now also:
- Supports a photo from front-facing camera on screen on when tracking is enabled
- Supports disabling email notifications from tracking, while leaving tracking on.
Feedback is appreciated.