The “MyObservatory” is one of the most popular weather app providing location-specific weather service in Hong Kong. If permission is granted to determine user’s location, temperature, relative humidity, rainfall, wind direction and speed, as well as weather photograph collected from nearby weather stations will be displayed. “My Location Settings” is introduced since version 4.0.0. In the “My Location Settings”, users can opt for using the automatic location service provided by the smartphone, or designating “My Location” on the map themselves. This location will be displayed on the main page and in “My Weather Report”. The meteorological data displayed on the same page is provided by meteorological stations nearby, and is not necessarily from a station in the same region. In case meteorological data is not available from nearby stations, data from other meteorological stations at headquarter of the Observatory, King’s Park, and Star Ferry will be used instead. Meanwhile, “Hong Kong Observatory” will be used as “My Location”.
Please note that:
1. Although the “MyObservatory” is a free app, user will be charged by their mobile network service provider on the use of data service. These charges can become very expensive on roaming. Please ensure that the option of “Data Roaming” have been disabled in the settings of your mobile devices. Meanwhile, the app requires user’s authorization on: “full network access”, “view network connections”, “view Wi-Fi connections” to download weather data over the Internet.
2. The estimated location provided by the mobile device may be deviated from your actual location. Meanwhile, owing to the dissimilarity in altitude and topography between user’s location and weather station, weather information displayed may be different from the actual conditions.
3. Use of location-based rain forecast notification will increase the battery usage and data download.
4. To allow user to get hold to important weather information such as weather warning, Special Weather Tips, location-based rain forecast, etc., the “MyObservatory” would automatically notify users the above information according to user’s settings. This feature requires user’s authorization on “run at startup”.
- Optimize "Earthquake Information" and fix bugs.