The New City Catechism was developed by Timothy Keller and Sam Shammas from the Reformation catechisms. It's aim is to help teach and explain the building blocks of the gospel and to help strengthen the church’s distinct identity. It comprises 52 questions and answers—therefore there is only one question and answer for each week of the year.
New City Catechism is based on and adapted from Calvin's Geneva Catechism, the Westminster Shorter and Larger Catechisms, and especially the Heidelberg Catechism.It is divided into 3 parts to make it easier to learn in sections and to include some helpful divisions:
PART 1 = God, creation and fall, law (20 questions);
PART 2 = Christ, redemption, grace (15 questions);
PART 3 = Spirit, restoration, growing in grace (17 questions).
New City Catechism is a joint project between Redeemer Presbyterian Church and The Gospel Coalition.
- displays the catechism question according to the current week for the year in a mobile friendly way
- the adult version contains a longer answer to the weekly question, bible verse, commentary and prayer on the topic from a historical preacher (e.g. Augustine, Edwards, Spurgeon, Wesley, etc.), suggested reading and a short video teaching from a modern preacher (e.g. Don Carson, Mark Dever, Timothy Keller, John Piper, etc.)
- the child version displays a shorter answer, the bible verse, a cut down prayer and a relevant children's song
- can move back and forward through the questions
- lists all the questions on one page
- swipe from the left of screen to open up the menu; or press the button on the top left
- can move app to SD Card
- basic pinch to zoom
- default settings for which version to display on load
- can set when you want to start from Question 1
Official New City Catechism site can be found here: http://www.newcitycatechism.com
A mobile friendly website that I made can be found here: http://ncc.ampers.x10.mx
Known bugs: changing orientation on the settings screen causes it to crash.
- Now should work on Gingerbread (Android 2.3)
- Dropped "weekly" from the title
- Changed the theme to look more like the official website
- Added in the introduction information
- Catechism content is now locally stored.
- Can now move app to SD Card
- Default settings for which version to display on load
- Can set when you want to start from Question 1
- Basic pinch to zoom
This is the first version of my second ever android application.