The nRF Beacon application lets you explore the full range of possibilities for beacons using Bluetooth Smart technology. The application has been designed to demonstrate all features of the nRF8122 Bluetooth® Smart Beacon Kit. It works partially with beacons from other manufacturers as well.
The application allows you register actions that will be triggered when specified event occur. Currently a beacon may silent the phone, open an application, open a website in a browser, show predefined information about an object (Mona Lisa painting) or play an alarm on one of the 4 events: beacon region has been entered or exited, a beacon is near or very close.
On Android 4.3 and 4.4.x the application requires nRF Beacon Service application to be installed on the device. It may be downloaded from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.nordicsemi.android.beacon.service.
Since Android 5 (Lollipop) the service is build into the application and is using native API. The nRF Beacon Service application may be removed from the phone.
- Supported on Android version 4.3 or later.
- Tested on Samsung S3 with Android 4.3 and on Samsung S4, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 with Android 4.4.2, 4.4.4 and 5.
- Compatible with nRF51822 Bluetooth® Smart Beacon Kit
- You may find more information about nRF51822 Bluetooth® Smart Beacon Kit on our website: http://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/Bluetooth-R-low-energy/nRF51822-Bluetooth-Smart-Beacon-Kit
- The source code of nRF Beacon is available on GitHub: https://github.com/NordicSemiconductor/Android-nRF-Beacon
- Various phones has different antennas thou may get other signal strength readings from the beacons.
22.07.2015 - version 1.4.1
- Migration to new DfuServiceInitiator and DfuProgressListener (see GitHub for details)
09.06.2015 - version 1.4.0
- Bug fixed in DFU (service will now scan for a device with address+1 after sending the Soft Device)
- Minor other changes
Find the source code on GitHub: https://github.com/NordicSemiconductor/Android-nRF-Beacon