OS MapFinder™ is the official mapping app from Ordnance Survey, allowing you to view and navigate OS Landranger Maps (1:50 000 scale) and OS Explorer Maps (1:25 000 scale) of Great Britain in amazing high-resolution on your phone or tablet, with or without WiFi or mobile signal.
Find routes for walking, running and cycling with roads, footpaths and cycle trails clearly marked. Plan your route in advance using the route planning tools, or track your location using the integrated GPS. Discover Britain’s hidden treasures with historic monuments, mountain peaks and country pubs or just go for a ramble and use the map to discover more of the landscape.
OS MapFinder features
OS MapFinder is ideal for walking, running, cycling or any outdoor activity and includes:
• Free road maps down to street level
• OS Landranger and OS Explorer high-resolution maps available as in-app purchases in 100km2 tiles
• GPS tracking to show current location and direction of travel
• Plan routes on screen and save in app or as GPX file
• Route recording including route taken, time, distance and average speed
• Search for place names, points of interest, postcodes and grid references
• Works fully offline – no mobile or data connection required
Using OS MapFinder
• For walking and hiking – plan your route in advance with details of footpaths, open access areas and rights of way and check your location on the map as you progress
• For cycling and running - track your route, time and speed with the GPS logging functions, and see if you can improve on your best times
• For bird spotting, wildlife watching and photography - identify the best habitats or landscape features and find a route
• Also includes features for horse riding, kayaking, geocaching, fishing, tourists and geology.
Adding OS Landranger and OS Explorer maps
Your app includes road maps for England, Scotland, Wales and islands included in Great Britain. Our detailed OS Landranger (1:50 000 scale) and OS Explorer (1:25 000 scale) maps are also available as in-app purchases. Each map section is 100 km2. Go to ‘Buy Maps’, zoom in to the area you want and select the scale. Once purchased, you can download your maps to multiple Android devices on the same Google® account
A free sample map is included for the Exeter area so you can see the quality of the high resolution maps available. Current map tile prices are
OS Landranger (1:50 000 scale): £0.69
OS Explorer (1:25 000 scale): £1.99
Using OS MapFinder
There is a help area included in the app that will help you use the route planning and GPS tracking. It also includes a brief guide to map reading and navigation skills to help you make the most of the OS maps on your device.
Our customer support team can help with problems using OS MapFinder, whether that is planning a route, using GPS tracking or viewing maps on your phone or tablet.
Check the FAQs at https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/mapfinder/mapfinder-android-faq.html, or contact us at https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/contact/
App and Map sizes
The app is a large download as it is designed to be used even when you are offline, so it has to save the high resolution maps and search database to your device. Included in the app is overview mapping for all of Great Britain, plus the ability to search for towns, cities, postcodes and places of interest. Please ensure your device has sufficient free space and you are connected via WiFi before beginning the download.
Maps sections are around 60MB each. To save space you can remove unneeded map sections from your device, and then download them again for free when you next need them
We will occasionally update maps to reflect changes. To get an updated map, just remove and re-install the map section – the most recent version will be automatically downloaded.
-Fixed route export bug
-Tutorial text and images made clearer
-Corrected crashing bug appearing on devices running Gingerbread
We have investigated an issue and have found that the Android 4.4 (KitKat) platform does not correctly open offline maps. Google’s engineers are aware, and we are hopeful of an update.
Here is the link for the Android bug report: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=61881