PhotoShield is a revolutionary app that manages EXIF and GPS location data attached to your photos. This unique system lets you share photos without inadvertently sharing the location it was taken. It is fully integrated with Android and works with your existing apps such as the Camera app and the Gallery app.
PhotoShield securely manages location data by cleaning it from your photos and archiving it until you need it. You can manually clean and archive the data, or you can let the app do it automatically whenever you take a picture. The archive enables you to restore location data that’s been deleted, should you want to find a picture’s location again.
All those free apps, how do you think they pay the bills? They data-mine information about you, your friends, where you go and what you do. We offer a limited version of PhotoShield for free because we think you will like it and want to upgrade to the premium version.
PhotoShield does not take shortcuts when it comes to your security. Android makes multiple copies of the location EXIF data. PhotoShield does not trust that this information is accurate. It scans each of your photos, inspects and archives EXIF locations for each photo. Next, PhotoShield informs Android that photos have been modified. Android then re-scans the photos for its own purposes. All this takes time. On an original Nexus 7, it may take 20-30 seconds to clean, archive 100 photos.
1. Start PhotoShield and swipe the screen left and right to see that state of all of your photos
+ Red outline - photo has EXIF location data
+ Blue outline - photo EXIF has been archived by PhotoShield
+ Black outline - photo does not have EXIF location data and is not archived
2. Select Menu: Clean-All, all blue outlines are now red, all of your pictures are EXIF clean
How to confirm location data has been removed:
1. Open a photo in the standard Android Gallery app
2. Select Details or Show on Map (option not available when location data is clean)
3. Confirm that location is not displayed
Need to restore location data?
1. Long press a photo (blue outline) in the PhotoShield gallery app
2. Select "Restore”
Need to clean a single photo?
1. Long press a photo (red outline) in the PhotoShield gallery app
2. Select "Clean”
Need to disable Auto-Clean?
1. Start PhotoShield
2. Select the "Auto" shield icon. A red 'X' indicates Auto-Clean is disabled
1. Boot complete - To support Auto-Clean, PhotoShield starts when your phone starts
2. Write external storage - PhotoShield will erase EXIF data from pictures
3. Internet access - PhotoShield uses an online Help page and Google Analytics
PhotoShield is not guaranteed to clean all of your phone’s pictures. PhotoShield can clean valid JPG files that it has access to and has write-privileges to, assuming that the device has enough free space to operate. Pictures that are hidden from PhotoShield cannot be cleaned. Some applications have the ability to create and distribute pictures in private memory that PhotoShield can’t access. Pictures taken with Android’s standard Camera application are stored in a public folder and will be cleaned by PhotoShield if the conditions above are met.
Most app developers abuse your trust by offering an app for free and then selling your stolen information later on. Nuvolect LLC is upfront about how it generates revenue. The only money made is through the honest sale of apps such as CounterCloud, CrypSafe, PhotoShield and Guardian. The app is free and use of premium features cost USD 1.99.
Smart management of photo location data. Automatically save and clear EXIF data from your photos. Restore EXIF data or explore photo origins on demand.
+ Bug fixes
+ Typo fixed, thanks for the developer feedback
+ Improved automated folder scanning
+ Robustness update
+ Improvements based on user feedback, thank you!
+ Minor upgrade to gridview display
+ Revised icon to match Security Suite LM
+ Improved photo path browsing