This is the beta version of Pingby. There are plans to change/improve the design and progressively add features.
* Users instantly connect with people in their immediate vicinity (one mile radius to start, but the plan is to shrink that distance once there are enough users on Pingby).
* Users post Shouts (public messages), which are visible to all nearby users, and can view Shouts posted within their radius.
* Shouts are pinned to the location they were posted from and do not follow the user. Shouts will generally disappear after 48 hours. For example, users send a bunch of Shouts from a bar at night. Other users, who come to the bar for brunch the next day, will be able to see the activity from the night before.
* Registration requirements: email address and password only (other users will not have access to your email address). We do not require you to link to any other accounts you may have with other services.
* You will be given a screen name that you can change from time to time to almost anything you want.
* Map: shows a snapshot of where users approximately are, without personally identifying them. This information is used to foster interaction - to see where there is activity and to view how many users are nearby. The map automatically zooms out when a user tries zooming in too far.
* Pingby can be used to interact with and meet people in dorms, bars, classrooms, hotels, condos, apartments, sports arenas, concerts, beaches, festivals, and just about anywhere for anything that you can think of.