PreDesigner is an elegant lens calculator with touch-editable ray diagram. Visualise key optical parameters and their interactions. Precise calculations for specific design tasks.
WHAT PREDESIGNER [LENS CALCULATOR] CAN DO
• Help you to understand basic geometric optics. Show how focal length, object and image distance / height / angle, track, magnification, field of view [fov] work together.
• Help you to understand how aperture, f number [f/#], numerical aperture [na] interact. Provide depth of field [dof] data for a camera. Help you to assess the likely space envelope.
• Help you to understand simple ray diagrams
• Help you to model the first stage of a specific lens design task. Provide range of key parameters that other lens calculators don’t offer.
In short, this is a simple, highly interactive ‘lens/mirror equation’ app. If you need or want any of these features, then PreDesigner is THE tool for you!
HOW PREDESIGNER [LENS CALCULATOR] WORKS:
Choose three distance and size parameters from a full range of options. Choose an aperture parameter. Enter the values for the four parameters and see all the system values in:
• table of all the optical parameters
• ray diagram showing object, lens & image, cardinal points etc
The ray diagram is gesture enabled, so you can drag key features to edit focal length, object distance & size, image distance and size, aperture or principle plane distance. Watch the drawing up-date as you drag - a true ‘lens equation’ visualiser!
WHO SHOULD USE PREDESIGNER [LENS CALCULATOR]:
PreDesigner is a scientific app, of use to people in education, industry and leisure:
• Lens designers – especially in the first stage of design tasks
• Optical engineers and laser engineers
• University lecturers and students taking geometric optics courses at degree or higher - Engineering or Science Majors
• High school teachers and physics students: A Level, International Baccalaureate, Abitur (Allgemeine Hochschulreife or Matura), AP Physics, Physics SAT etc
• Photographers, Camera enthusiasts & Astronomers
• In fact, anyone with an interest in optics
Options include mirror mode, principal plane separation, different refractive index in object and image space, choice of ray diagram styles and more.
QIOPTIQ & OPTICAL DESIGN SOFTWARE
Qioptiq Photonics has been developing optical design software for over 20 years, for use by the R&D department and by customers worldwide. Qioptiq’s lens design programs include:
• WinLens3D - full optical design program
• GlassManager – highly customisable optical glass database program
• PreDesigner – paraxial & Gaussian beam analysis tool (Lens Calculator is derived from PreDesigner)
• MachVis – Machine Vision lens selector – calculates the necessary optical parameters and finds the right lens for your machine vision application
The full optical design suite, WinLens3D, is available in the Qioptiq Q-Shop: www.qioptiq-shop.com/en/Precision-Optics/Optics-Software/Winlens/Software-package-WinLens-3D.html
Qioptiq designs and manufactures photonic products and solutions that serve a wide range of markets and applications in the areas of medical and life sciences, industrial manufacturing, defence and aerospace, and research and development.
The company is known for its high-quality standard components, products and instruments, its custom modules and assemblies, its leading-edge innovation, its precision manufacturing and its responsive global resourcing.
Through a series of acquisitions, Qioptiq has an impressive history and pedigree. It benefits from having integrated the knowledge and experience of Avimo, Gsänger, LINOS, Optem, Pilkington, Point Source, Rodenstock, Spindler & Hoyer and others.
Qioptiq has a worldwide presence with locations in Europe, Asia and the USA, employs over 1,900 people, and generated revenues of approximately US$346 million in 2012.
For more information, visit www.qioptiq.com and www.qioptiq-shop.com
v4.0: better support for comma-separated decimals value entry. Tablet: button to expand dia to fit full screen
v3.0: popup list of standard sensors available when 'Image height' is a key parameter. Bug fix.
v2.0: popup list of standard f/#'s available when 'F/nos' is the aperture parameter.
v1.1: Icon change from red/blue doublet to stylised thin lens ray diagram & emphasising pre-design role in optical engineering.