PreDesigner from Qioptiq Photonics is an elegant lens calculator with sliders & touch-editable ray diagram & thin lens nomogram. Visualise key optical parameters and their interactions. Precise calculations for specific design tasks. Your choice of key parameters & units.
PreDesigner Lens Calculator features
• select conjugate, field & aperture parameters to suit your specific task
• adjust parameter values with editbox or slider, with automatic results/drawing update
• calculate conjugate values: object & image distances, focal length, track, magnification
• calculate field values: object & image heights / angles - field of view [fov]
• calculate aperture values: stop radius, f number [f/#] and numerical aperture [na]
• understand simple ray diagrams and the lens nomogram
• understand basic geometric optics - see how these parameters change in real time with the sliders and interactive ray diagrams
• your choice of units [metric and/or imperial]
• do ‘back of envelope’ calculations at start of a specific lens design task
• estimate space envelope
• obtain depth of field [dof] data for a camera
• social features: share data/screen captures. see Qioptiq tweets.
In short, this is a simple, powerful, highly interactive ‘lens/mirror equation’ app
How to use PreDesigner Lens Calculator
Choose three distance and size parameters from a full range of options. Choose an aperture parameter. Enter the values for the four parameters and see:
• table showing all the optical parameters values
• ray diagram showing object, lens & image, cardinal points etc
• nomogram [graph showing the relation between object, image distances and focal length]
Tap a parameter name to see its linked slider. Long press the same name to see/edit the slider limits. Use the slider for quick, precise value changes with no typing.
The ray diagram & nomogram are gesture enabled, so you can drag key features to edit focal length, object distance & size, image distance & size, aperture or principle plane distance. Graphics up-date as you drag - a true ‘lens equation’ visualiser!
Lens / mirror mode. Lists of standard f/#'s & sensor dims.
Advanced options include
• principal plane separation
• different refractive index in object & image space
• choice of ray diagram styles
Who PreDesigner Lens Calculator is for
This is a scientific app, of use to people in education, industry and leisure:
• lens designers – especially for the first stage of design tasks
• optical engineers, laser engineers
• university and industrial researchers
• university lecturers giving geometric optics courses at degree or higher
• university students taking Engineering or Science Majors
• high school teachers and physics students: A Level, International Baccalaureate, Abitur (Allgemeine Hochschulreife or Matura), AP Physics, Physics SAT etc
• astronomers, photographers & camera enthusiasts
In fact, anyone with an interest in optics!
About Qioptiq Photonics
Qioptiq Photonics is an Excelitas Technologies company and a world leader in the design and manufacturer of photonic products and solutions.
For more information, visit http://www.qioptiq.com
Qioptiq Photonics - lens design software
Qioptiq Photonics has a large experienced optical design group in the R&D division. They have been developing lens design software for PCs for over 20 years, for use in house and by customers worldwide. Qioptiq’s lens design programs include WinLens3D [free version available], GlassManager, Tolerancer & PreDesigner
Find out more at http://www.winlens.de
Qioptiq Photonics - machine vision lens software
Qioptiq is a world leader in the design and manufacture of machine vision optics. MachVis is their free lens selector. This PC app will help you find the right Qioptiq lens & accessories for your machine vision task.
Find out more at http://www.qioptiq.com/request-machvis-software.html
[v8.0 Feb 2015]
Sliders, with user definable limits, for quick changes of all key parameter values
Better handling for hardware keyboards
Android permissions reduced from 5 to 2 [removed google +1 button, better screen capture]
Wide range of metric/imperial unitd
Options to draw Near & Far Sharp planes
Better display of depth of field
Tools in Menu
Show/hide parameter area & different result table sections
Better display of aperture results