RSS Junkie, a RSS reader with support for offline reading and push notifications. Add any feed you want by sharing the RSS feed using a browser with RSS Junkie, or use one of the builtin presets. Special layout for (7") tablets. Feedback is welcome (please use the market feedback button or the feedback option in the app).
RSS Junkie uses it's own server infrastructure for push notifications, so you will get your alerts about new RSS items really quick. An additional advantage is that your phone will consume less battery as it does not have to check for new items each couple of minutes. To offer these feature we do not use Google Reader as backend (and there is no Google Reader sync). We use 'green' servers, which are power-efficient and uses environment friendly power.
- Push notifications using GCM (nearly realtime, in comparison to polling it is faster and uses less battery)
- Offline reading
- Star your favorite items so they are remembered
- Efficient communication protocol, so it saves you bandwidth/datalimit (all the heavy work is done on a server, compressing both images and text)
- Tablet layout (with high quality images) for Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Asus Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, etc.
- Android 2.2+, but specially designed for Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) and Jelly Bean (JB) (for devices like the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S3)
- Presets for popular channels: CNN, USA Today, BBC News, Engadget, The Verge, etc.
- Green/Blue/Dark color theme
- Pebble Smartwatch notifications
- OPML import/export
RSS Junkie displays ads to recover some of the costs of the infrastructure. As an option, you can buy RSS Junkie in the main menu (and ads are not displayed anymore).
Please contact me to resolve any issues, or if you have any suggestions.
- Widget for Android 4+
- New layout for articles
- Searching your phone also yields also results from RSS Junkie
- Option to share the whole article (instead of only the link)
- Option to import/export feeds from/as a OPML file (importing can be done by using a file manager and select the file)
- Now send notifications to your Pebble phone