The Rude Practice Pad is the perfect training tool for drum set players, percussionists, marching bands and drum lines. From student to pro – there is always something you can work on in this selection of drum rudiments and hybrid rhythms. From phone to pad or tablet – this app adapts and provides large, crisp notation together with easy search and navigation. From silent night to full band practice – select visual indication, metronome or play along with a selection of real snare drum sounds. From school to self-studies – the many ways to list and sort, together with up to date suggestions and video lessons makes this the best tool for any drummer. And it's social too.
The Rude Practice Pad app will:
* Show and play all 40 official drum rudiments, with name and order according to PAS (Percussive Arts Society).
* Show and play 100 of the most common hybrid rudiments.
* Show and play 96 classic Stick Control exercises.
* Let you select different snare drum sounds for the playback.
* Realistically reproduce even flams, diddles and press rolls, thanks to the new sound engine and sample player.
* Visually indicate where you are in the pattern, synchronized with the built-in metronome.
* Navigate quickly and intuitively between rudiments and tempos.
* Suggest rhythms to practice, including a “Rudiment of the day” feature.
* Sort and list rudiments according to the essential, original, standard, the quadrants etc.
* Share rhythms via mail or Bluetooth. Post on Facebook. Tweet on Twitter.
* Keep the tempo using the most accurate metronome engine available on Android.
* Allow tempo adjustments between 20 and 240 BPM.
* Link to textual descriptions and instructional videos showing all the 40 official rudiments, on pad and examples applied to drum set. (The videos and examples are published at rude.skrivarna.com.)
Still it is small (only about 1 MB including all images and sounds!), requires no strange permissions or Internet access, is easy to use and – not to forget – affordable.
I would really appreciate comments on how this small app behaves, looks and performs on different Android versions and hardware models. If you mail me at software (at) skrivarna.com I will quickly get back to you with updated versions or questions and answers if needed.
Of course, any suggestions for additional features, improvements and corrections of the content are welcome. Use the software (at) skrivarna.com mail address for this as well.
And yes, I am aware that some of the rudiments, official or not, have different possible interpretations in how they are named, played and notated. In most cases I have used the most common form (as far as I understand), but there is also a trade-off in making the notation viewable on a small screen. If you have a strong opinion on this and think I have made the wrong choice, don't hesitate to contact me. I will do my best to be as correct as possible.
* 24 more Stick Control exercises.
* Small fixes.
* Added 72 classic Stick Control exercises.
* Support for AirTurn control.
* Now also working on some older devices.
* Fixed HW acceleration problem on a few phones.
* Fixed class loader crash in some phone models.
* Updated target version.