SafeNow's primary goal is to provide you piece-of-mind that your loved ones are safe when they are away. SafeNow eliminates the need to constantly exchange text messages or phone calls to determine if everyone is safe.
Do you have children attending college and want to know if they are safe? Do you worry about your spouse when he/she is on business trips? Do you worry about the safety of your children at home or school while you're working? Do you worry about the well-being of your elderly parents? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then SafeNow may be the answer you're looking for. SafeNow attempts to make it as easy as possible for your loved ones to let you know that they are safe. When SafeNow is run, it posts a simple status update with date and time, indicating that they are safe.
* Display a list of SafeNow users you follow, including their last status update (date and time).
* Your status is automatically updated every time you launch the app.
* Display a list of users that follow you.
* Send status update request to a user that you follow.
* Daily notification to update your status, you set the time.
* Send and receive reminders with users you follow. Add reminders for yourself.
* Display reminders on the home screen using reminders widget.
* Require PIN entry upon app launch, to help prevent false status updates in case your device is lost or stolen.
Please keep the following in mind when using the app...
* SafeNow simply displays the date and time the application was last opened by users that you follow. It is completely up to each user to periodically run the app to update their status, but all they need to do is open the app, and exit.
* If you are expecting your loved one to update their status, and they have not done so, it does not necessarily mean they are not safe. Failure to update status could simply mean: a) they forgot to update their status, b) their device ran out of battery power, c) they lost or left behind their device, or d) their device has been stolen. If you're not seeing status updates when you expect them, contact your loved one like you normally would (e.g. call them, text them).
* Seeing regular status updates does not guarantee that everything is fine with your loved one. If your loved one does not use a PIN to protect status update entry, and if their device is lost or stolen, it is then possible that another party may update status by running the app. Using a PIN is highly recommended to help prevent this possible issue.
What Android Permissions does this app use and why?
Full network access - Your last status update date/time and list of users you follow are stored in the cloud, so we need full Internet access to retrieve and store this information for you. We store it in the cloud to provide access from several different Android devices that you might own. This does not include the preferences that you set using "Settings". They are stored on each device to allow you to set different preference values for each of your Android devices.
Prevent phone from sleeping - Allows the app to use wakelocks to facilitate the PUSH technology used by the app. PUSH is used whenever users send requests to each other (e.g. status update requests, follow requests, and associated replies.)
Run at startup Allows app to set up your daily reminder alarm whenever the phone is restarted, and to set up the PUSH technology to enable the receipt of SafeNow notifications.
View network state - Because this application depends on the availability of a data connection, it will check the current network data status before it performs important operations that depend on network access (e.g. updating your status, fetching the list of users you follow and list of followers.)
Your Accounts - Your Google account, to send messages via Google Cloud Messaging.
For more info, see: http://www.joslynzone.com/faq.html
Updated for Android 5.1.