Scholarley is an unofficial Android client for Mendeley; which is a free and convenient application for managing your library of academic papers (see: http://www.mendeley.com/). Scholarley has been designed for both Android phones and tablets.
Mendeley will be releasing an official app in the coming month (or shortly thereafter). At around the same time, Mendeley will be disabling the older API that Scholarley uses to access your document library; which will cause Scholarley to no longer function. I am willing to open source Scholarley if there is sufficient interest in revamping it for the new API, but will not personally have time to do much more than manage the pull requests. Mendeley has been very kind to their Android users by grandfathering Scholarley's use of the old API. This announcement should have been available in your app, but I lost the commits associated with versions 0.9.9.18 and 0.9.9.19; and so was unable to provide an update without considerable work. As such, although the end is nigh, I cannot unlock Scholarley for free for all users; and so I have reduced the in-app lock to its lowest possible sum. I expect Scholarley will be defunct, unless the open source effort emerges, within a month.
Scholarley's current features (★ indicates in-app upgrade is required):
- Authentication with Mendeley using OAuth.
- Streamlined synchronisation for even large libraries with thousands of documents.
- Viewing of document details in a refined format.
- Opening documents and attachments of any format provided that your Android device supports them. An external PDF viewer is required for viewing PDFs.
- A convenient user interface which supports filtering documents by:
- author (with smart deduplication)
- And support for sorting documents by title, author, citation key, date of addition to library, and date of last modification.
- Full offline synchronisation of your Mendeley library (including, at your option, PDFs and attachments).
- Complete interface for making local changes to document metadata, with undo capability.
★ Full two-way synchronisation of document metadata.
★ Document creation and attachment upload to Mendeley. [Experimental]
Due to Mendeley's plans for an official app, and the upcoming deprecation of the API used by Scholarley, development on Scholarley has ceased. Please enjoy using Scholarley until the official client is released.
Scholarley was originally intended for my private use only. Since then, at the requests of many people, various features have been added. Although no longer under active development, activation of these features will remain billed at a reduced price of AUD$3. Once Mendeley releases their official client, and it satisfactorily supersedes Scholarley, Scholarley will be removed from the app store.
If Scholarley does not satisfy your needs, please do consider alternative Mendeley clients for Android such as Droideley and Referey.
0.9.9.18 -> 0.9.9.19:
- BUGFIX: Properly allow refreshing of access token.