Second Canvas Museo del Prado is your tool for exploring the masterpieces of Western painting like never before.
Discover, navigate, learn, teach and share from your android, with the option of hooking it up to your TV screen.
Created by the Museo del Prado and Madpixel, Second Canvas Museo del Prado allows you to explore the 14 masterpieces from the museum’s collection, including Las Meninas by Velázquez, The Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch and Self-Portrait by Dürer, in ultra-high resolution. You can also interact with them, choose your favorite detail and share it with your friends on social networks.
This app includes for free one of the 14 masterpieces: Self-portrait of Albrecht Dürer in Gigapixel (ultra-HD) format, plus enriched art cards for the other 13.
You can acquire the resting 13 masterpieces in Gigapixel format as in-app purchases, individually or grouped in a pack.
Available masterpieces are:
• The Third of May, 1808 in Madrid. Francisco de Goya.
• Jacob’s Dream. José de Ribera.
• Las Meninas or The Family of Philip IV. Diego Velázquez.
• The Nobleman with his Hand on his Chest. El Greco.
• Crucifixion. Juan de Flandes.
• The Annunciation. Fra Angelico.
• The Cardinal. Raphael.
• Equestrian Portrait of Charles V at Mühlberg. Titian.
• Immaculate Conception. Giovanni Battista Tiepolo.
• Descent from the Cross. Roger van der Weyden.
• The Garden of Earthly Delights. Hieronymus Bosch.
• The Three Graces. Peter Paul Rubens.
• Judith at the Banquet of Holofernes. Rembrandt.
You have also available the Prado’s copy of the Mona Lisa, by the workshop of Leonardo da Vinci, as in-app purchase. For the first time ever it can be seen in Gigapixel resolution.
• Extra material for each masterpiece, links to additional information, audioguide and sign language guide
• Super-zoom to discover hidden details
• X-ray and ultraviolet vision to see the drawing under the painting for featured works.
• Discover amazing stories about each painting, detail by detail.
• Tell your own stories on social networks, selecting the details you want to share in ultra-high resolution.
• Connect your iPad/iPhone to your TV at home (via AirPlay, AppleTV or cable) or projector at school to see the masterpieces in full screen while interacting with your touch device.
• Twitter integration allows you to read the opinions of other users within the app itself, which is why each masterpiece has its own hashtag.
• Share your experience, with images, on Facebook, Twitter and by email.
• Download the works on your device with all the related information (or the details with their stories, in the case of the masterpieces) so they can be accessed even when you’re offline or in airplane mode.
• Over 60 related works in HD that places each painting within its historical context and in relation to other works by the artist and his contemporaries.
You can also make lists of your favorite works or receive content updates and new stories from the museum, among other things.
The Gigapixel images in this app go beyond ultra-high resolution, with a focus on achieving optimal quality so the artwork can be enjoyed in full detail no matter how much you zoom in. A gigapixel image is comprised of hundreds or thousands of high-resolution images, which come together to create one giant image of 1,000,000,000 or more pixels.
We hope you enjoy Second Canvas Museo del Prado. Tell us about your experience with the app and help us improve by emailing us at: [email protected]
For more information about Second Canvas:
Bug fixed: some devices had a problem when launching the app