***SkySafari has been upgraded! Click below for the NEW SkySafari 4***
As reviewed in Sky & Telescope, the iOS version of SkySafari is "revolutionary" and a "game-changer". Now here for Android, SkySafari will change the way you do astronomy!
SkySafari's streamlined user interface puts both power and simplicity into your hands - and turns your mobile device into an invaluable tool for exploring the night sky. SkySafari is more than just a star chart - it's a celestial travel guide!
SkySafari for Android comes in three versions – this is basic version of SkySafari.
What you can do with SkySafari:
• Point and hover your mobile device at the night sky to identify constellations, planets, satellites, stars, and other sky objects from your location.
• Search for any object in the sky, and follow the arrow on screen to find it!
• 46,000 stars, plus 220 of the best-known star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies in the sky.
• Displays the Solar System's major planets and moons using NASA spacecraft imagery, and includes the best-known asteroids and comets.
• Accurately shows you the sky from any place on Earth, at anytime up to 100 years in the past or future.
• Encyclopedic descriptions of the sky objects written by professional astronomers.
• Hundreds of images from NASA space missions, the Hubble Space Telescope, and the world's foremost astro-photographers.
• “Night” button to preserve your dark adaptation as you're exploring the night sky.
• “Time Flow” Feature - follow the motion of sky objects as SkySafari compresses days, months, and years into a few seconds.
• Ten times more star data than Google SkyMap
***TOP NEW FEATURES in SkySafari 4***
• Animated Meteor Showers – with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics!
• Google Maps Integration: Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• New and Updated Descriptions – for HUNDREDS of objects!
• New Horizon Panoramas – Yerba Buena Gardens, Ayers Rock, Mauna Kea. Or add your own!
• Re-invented look and feel with new app icons and artwork.
• Complete rewrite of compass code for much smoother and accurate motion tracking.
• Dozens more tweaks, bug fixes, and additions we don’t have room to list here!
***Click on the following link for the NEW SkySafari 4***
Make sure you have at least 150 MB of free space on your internal SD card for SkySafari to download this database from Google Play the first time it runs! (Note: due to Google Play rules, this data cannot be moved to your external SD card - you must have 150 MB free on your internal SD card!)
Please note: there is no upgrade pricing from SkySafari's basic version to SkySafari Plus or Pro. Make sure to get the version you want!
TROUBLESHOOTING AND PERFORMANCE TIPS
Is SkySafari having trouble downloading its data files? Is it running slowly? Check our web site for help:
Here are answers to our most frequently asked questions about SkySafari for Android:
If all else fails, send us an email - we're [email protected]
, and we're happy to hear from you.
Release 1.8.5 is a bug-fix release. For the complete lists of what's new, go to this page: