SpaceSim-GPS is an application that gives a view of global navigation satellite systems (GNSS) in 3D.
GNSS, such as US GPS or European Galileo or also GLONASS, are satellite navigation systems with global coverage. They are mainly composed of a space segment (several satellites often on a Walker constellation), a ground or control segment (ground stations spread over the globe surface) and a user segment.
SpaceSim-GPS depicts and simulates such systems in a 3D environnement. Different modes allow to have a real-time representation of the system, with:
- computation of the visibility for each satellite with respect to the user position. You can find out exactly which satellite is flying above your current position (provided a GPS is available and enabled on the device)!
- computation of the precision (DOP).
- computation of satellite attitude control (earth pointing and solar panel rotation to maximise illumination and power as it would be done in reality).
- update the constellation status with almanacs (the app downloads the latest almanac on user request).
- use the touchscreen to zoom in or travel around Earth, or the Moon! As you travel around, take a minute to observe the sky and identify some constellations...
- click a satellite to have its information.
- add your customised spacecraft constellation!
This application is for educational purposes and it is NOT intended for location.
If you find bugs, please report by email. Thanks!
New UI, tools and 3D.
Minor bug fixes.