Make moving fun with Sesame Street's The Big Moving Adventure! Your young child (ages 2–5) can create his own muppet friend and help him or her through the moving process, including: Hearing the news, packing, saying goodbye, expressing feelings, traveling, exploring the new home, and making new friends. The Parents Section contains more detailed tips and suggestions on these same topics to help families who are in the process of relocating.
With this app, your child can:
• Customize a muppet friend and help him/her move to a new home.
• Decide which toys and books to pack in a box, and which special comfort items to bring along in a backpack.
• Explore different ways to say goodbye to people, places, and things at the old home.
• Choose how the muppet friend could be feeling about the big move.
• Color in a postcard from toys as they travel on the moving truck to the new house.
• Explore the new home and unpack toys and books from the moving truck.
• Meet new friends at the new home, including some familiar, furry faces!
The average military child moves about 6 to 9 times between kindergarten and high school. Moving can be stressful for all family members, but children are especially vulnerable to changes in routine and environment. The Big Moving Adventure app was created to help children prepare both physical and emotionally for any type of move.
The Big Moving Adventure app:
• Familiarizes children with important moving steps like packing, traveling over a distance, and getting used to a new room.
• Models different ways to say goodbye to people and places.
• Helps children explore their feelings about moving.
• Introduces strategies for making new friends.
About Sesame Street for Military Families
This app is part of Sesame Workshop’s ongoing efforts to support military families and encourage the development of resilience skills in all young children. For more information and resources for military families, visit MilitaryFamiliesNearAndFar.org.