An app designed for people with an interest in the history of Suffolk's pubs. This is a map showing the location of every positively identified former pub in the county, as well as a number of buildings we think may have been pubs.
Where a picture of the pub is available, this is displayed on its details pop-up.
NOTE: on devices with high-density displays, the new photos are currently displayed too small. I'm investigating a workaround for this.
The app will check for updated pubs data no more than once a month, but will ask you before downloading. Optionally, you can disable automatic checks altogether or only allow them if your device is WiFi connected. You can manually check for updates at any time you wish.
** Known issues **
* Some devices running the Gingerbread version of Android don't show a menu button at the top of the app. Menu functions are still available from the device's hardware menu button. Those few devices lacking a hardware menu button will not be able to access some of the more advanced features of the app, but pubs data will be available.
* App stays blank during startup as it's generating its initial map.
If you want an app to show you the currently-open pubs selling Real Ale in Suffolk, please try The Real Ale Pub Finder.
Explanation of permission requirements
* MAPS_RECEIVE: needed to access Google maps.
* INTERNET: needed to get pub update files from the Camra server and to link to websites.
* ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: needed to check network connectivity before trying to update pub data files.
* WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE/READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: needed so the app can store photographs of the pubs locally rather than always needing a network connection (files are small and even if you collect a lot they won't take up much space).
* READ_GSERVICES: needed in order to get directions to a pub.
* ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION/ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: needed to locate you in order to centre the map and provide directions.
* Improved the way the app handles not being able to find an expected pub photo on the Suffolk Camra website. This is needed because Tony has bought a better camera and is uploading a lot of new photos to the website, so if a photo isn't found, you'll be offered the chance to check for a new pubs data file which may contain details of a newer photo.
* Now correctly remembers whether or not it should auto-centre after being swapped out of memory by Android