This application is the smart phone version the Voice Response Translator (VRT) system developed for the Justice Department's National Institute of Justice Science & Technology Office and the Pentagon's DARPA TransTac and TransApp efforts. It is a phrase-based, touch-controlled translator that ensures each phrase is translated with precision into the target language. The application has been used extensively in police and military operations.
Using TRT ™ Version Police 400:
1) Touch the IWT™ TRT™ icon to start the app.
2) To play an output phrase, press the abbreviated prompt phrase on the screen. Please note this is a short reminder of the phrase, e.g., the “Under Arrest” phrase button plays the output phrase, “You are under arrest.” Press the “Show Text” button to the right of the prompt phrase to see the full text of the output phrase.
3) To switch languages, touch the name of the language using the button at the top, left-hand part the screen. When the dialog box appears, select the desired language. The button displays the output language selected, e.g., “Language: Spanish” or “Language: Mandarin.”
4) The create groups of languages, press the “Menu” button and then the “Create Language Group” button. Tap the space under “Group Name” and type in a name, e.g., “Chinese Languages” and push the “OK” button. Tap “[Add Language]” and select a language, repeating this to select more languages. When finished selecting languages, press “Done”.
5) To switch phrase groups, touch the name of the group using the button at the top, right-hand part the screen. When the dialog box appears, select the desired group. The button displays the name of the group that will be available on the screen, e.g., “Group: Common” or “Group: Field.”
6) To add phrases to the “Favorites” list, press on the name of the phrase for two seconds. When the dialog box opens, press “Add to Favorites.”
7) To record new output phrases directly onto TRT™, choose the “Group: Field” group using the Group button. To prepare for recording press menu->"Add New Phrase", fill the "Title" and "Text" fields, and touch "Add" button. Repeat it for all phrases you want to record. To begin recording press and hold one of the prepared phrase buttons until the dialogue box appears. Touch the “Record Phrase” button and then touch the “Record” button when your interpreter is ready to speak the phrase. Touch the “Finish” button when the phrase is done. For best sound quality, please have the interpreter speak directly, clearly and loudly into the phone’s microphone. Please note the TRT™ application must be in single-language mode to record a phrase, i.e., a language group such as “Chinese Languages” cannot be selected. You must select a specific language, e.g., Cantonese, to record a phrase.
Languages include: Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Dari, Laotian, Vietnamese, Serbian, Sorani Kurdish, Russian, Swahili, Korean, Classical Arabic, Greek, Italian, Tagalog, Haitian Creole and Japanese. A phrase search function has been added.